Syneren Technologies Corporation

Current Employee at Syneren

Current Employee - Position in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Position in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Syneren Technologies Corporation full-time

Pros

Environment – Everyone at the office is friendly, nice and hardworking. The office is neither too relaxed nor too stiff. After 10 years of working for companies whose office environment was overwhelmingly stiff and literally made me anxious about coming to work, this is a wonderful change in pace. I am free to joke around and relax with my co-workers. My supervisor is a joy to work with and there is no micromanaging from anyone in upper management.

Family First- It is extremely important to me that I not be persecuted for taking time off when needed. Not once have I been reprimanded for my time off. Everyone from the CEO on down has been more than understanding and has shown and expressed obvious concern for my wellbeing as well as for my family's when appropriate. Family is a priority here and taking care of your family and yourself first has always been encouraged.

Job Description/Growth – I see a lot of other reviews complaining about their “job descriptions” and no room for growth. I applied for a general position, throughout the course of my employment, I have been given more and more tasks, and as I prove I can competently handle these tasks, I am given more. I see this as a pro. I am expanding my job description! No, my job does not strictly adhere to the description I read when first starting here. However, if you are happy just doing what your exact job description stated when you started, by all means stick to that. How can you grow though, if you do not move beyond that? Which might be why I see complaints about growth on here, too? If all you are willing to do is your exact job description day in and day out throughout your length of employment, how are you going to move up in the company. All you have shown is that you can do your exact job, and you can do it well. I am always asking for more, and as a result, I have grown quickly within the company. Yet, I am still asking for more! I do have the pleasure of loving my job, challenges and all.

Employee Value – I see this daily at Syneren. We truly value our employees here and it shows in numerous ways. The benefits, the way we are treated and the way we are rewarded are excellent. I will even go as far as to say that I have never been rewarded as often, let alone rewarded period, at any other company that I have worked for before. At other companies I worked for, it was frowned upon when I took the vacation time that I was allotted by them!

Upper Management – I work closely with upper management, and I have never been treated as “less than,” I have never been belittled, and I have never been treated unfairly. All of upper management is kind and respectful to all employees. There is absolutely no micromanaging. But, my favorite part of all, each of them is down to earth and “real.” They do not project any unobtainable, unrealistic expectations. They are easy to talk to, as I could go to any one of them with a problem and they would be more than willing to help me. I think these qualities are rare for one single manager let alone an entire upper management team. Simply put, they are a great group of people to work with. It almost feels like a second family.

Salary - I am not going to discuss this on here, except to say that all salaries are fair and comparable. I have never had any problems in this area.

Other – I truly love working for Syneren, I love my job here, I love coming to work every day and I actually look forward to it. My co-workers are a joy to work with, and as expressed early, so is the upper management team. This is a rare find. I plan on sticking around for the long haul.

Cons

Donut day should be everyday verses just Wednesday.

I have absolutely no advice. I truly enjoying working here. Things seem to be working from my perspective!

29 Other Employee Reviews for Syneren Technologies Corporation (View Most Recent)

Wanted to get out as soon as I got in...

Former Employee - Business Development
    Former Employee - Business Development

I worked at Syneren Technologies Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

People actually are really nice...IF they talk to you
    Free coffee, snacks
    Easy location to get to
    Flexible with my hours, accommodating with my schoolwork

Cons

- Office environment is quite literally depressing...if you are the kind of person who likes to go to work and not say a word to anyone all day then by all means Syneren is the place for you. If not...stay far far far away
    - High turnover...for good reason
    - I was told in my interview I would be doing something totally different than what I was actually doing. The title of the position I was supposedly hired for was "Financial Specialist". I was on the Business Development (proposal writing) Team in less than a week and never moved.
    - They hire some truly incompetent people...I am going to assume purely because they don't pay them all that much
    - Everything really does run through one person, who albeit is very nice, but it makes you feel as if everyone is a cog in her master plan...to which I never really got wind of.

I really don't know what it would be like working for one of the project teams, my experience was with more of the internal teams. So if you are interviewing for one of those positions I am sure the work would be fine. Just make sure they are explicit when they tell you what you will be doing...get it in writing. Like I said, I was lied to in my interview...there is no other way to put it. Had I actually been doing what they said I would my experience surely would have been better.

I cannot stress enough how painful it was to be in that office 25 hours a week...I have nightmares when I think about what it would have been like full time. It is not like people are MEAN, they are NICE, just incredibly quiet. There are some individuals who I could get along with but when I say some I mean one, maybe two. If you are considering a position here you should really consider how much you value working in a lighthearted, fun, collegial office environment. If you value it at all you are not going to last more than a few months; guarantee it.

There is so much more to being successful than hiring smart people, you have created an office full of zombies...not really sure how you go about fixing that

Started Okay, Quickly Made a Turn for the Worse..

I worked at Syneren Technologies Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's an okay place to start off -- but not for long. It starts off nice, but then you start to see how it's going to turn out.

Generally flexible with your personal schedule -- if you need to work from home or leave early, they generally do not have an issue with that.

Relaxed environment -- for the most part. People are really friendly..to your face.

Cons

Compensation -- they're obviously cheap. They try to enforce bonuses and gradual annual increases (based on performance), but even that isn't enough. It still doesn't make up for all the work you actually do. They pay the bare minimum. If they fire someone/someone quits and you have to take over their job, they will NOT pay you.

Job Description -- this is a con because regardless of what you're SUPPOSED to do, you end up doing more than that.

No Direction -- they tend to throw you into the wolves and expect you to come out without a scratch. even if you have no idea what you're doing. and don't bother asking them; you'll get nowhere.

Don't value employees -- even if they do, it's hard to tell. It seems like you put your blood, sweat and tears into the company and all you get back is a smile.

Poor Communication -- this speaks for itself. They're extremely secretive and "behind closed doors" about EVERYTHING. They feel like someone is going to steal their "secrets" and are hesistant to even tell an employee information they may need to complete a job.

No room for growth -- none. They'll try to sell you that, but the only growth you'll get is if you get moved from your full time permanent position to getting thrown on a contract because they couldn't fill the position with an outsite/contingent employee. Forget about a heads up. Also, they don't promote from within, no matter how hard you're working, you'll never grow there.

Poor management -- there aren't many managers. Everything is run single-handedly by the CEO. She's a dictator. She doesn't trust anyone to come in and organize the company so that the operations run smoothly. There is no actual structure.

Treatment of employees -- they treat employees like they work in a sweat shop. Give you a ton of things to do with unrealistic expectations and impossible deadlines. They talk down to employees and try to intimidate you with fear. You absolutely have to stand up for yourself at Syneren and let them know what you're actual job description is or they WILL walk (or try to) over you.

No company growth - the company will obviously stay the same or get worse over the years. They do not understand how to run a business or to make a business grow.

Stop being so paranoid and secretive. Learn how to accept tips on improving management and business. If you've been doing the same thing over and over and maintain the same results (which aren't the best), something needs to change. Stop being afraid of hiring people. This won't hurt your company. You will never grow if you maintain this veil of secrecy and paranoia.

There are newer employer reviews for Syneren Technologies Corporation