There are newer employer reviews for Syniverse

Good if you just need steady paycheck and health benefits. Bad if you want to get anywhere.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Syniverse

Pros

The company is doing extremely well. Even during the economic crisis, revenues only dipped a bit, and they're already going up again. The company seems to have a stellar reputation within the telecom community, reflected by 99% contract renewal rate. They introduce new products and purchase competitors regularly, which both mean bigs for the bottom line. I'd say it's a VERY sturdy ship.

Cons

However, being inside the sturdy ship, there is only severe wage stagnation for software professionals. Management is always looking at outsourcing for cost advantage, but it keeps biting us in the butt, because we end up with inexperienced newbies around the world doing substandard work. Wage increases are routinely BELOW inflation, bonuses are typically disappointing, and sometimes absent altogether (2010). We are told to be content with it, because of "this economy", "you are lucky to have jobs at all", and my personal favorite: "There are exits on every floor (meaning if you don't like it, leave)".

Syniverse only hires software people through the bodyshops, and it's clear that it is just for labor arbitrage purposes.

Oh, almost forgot: no sick days as of '09... Every day off counts against "paid time off". And no, the on-site clinic does NOT compensate for that. Sorry.

Don't trumpet the financial well-being of the company from the mountaintops, then tell us to be happy with < 2.0% merit raises in the very same presentation. You wouldn't put up with that, would you?

81 Other Employee Reviews for Syniverse (View Most Recent)

Not in tune with Bay area

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Syniverse

Pros

- Stable company with stable product lines
    - Messaging is here to stay
    - Less work pressure

Cons

The company acquired a Messaging division in CA. Company is headquartered in Tampa, FL. The treatment meted out to CA employees is lukewarm at best. Since all the decisions happen at Tampa, your growth opportunities are extremely limited.

Also the company shows extremely low interest in developing or encouraging new product lines or ideas. Hence some people are stuck to same jobs since past 20 years.

Company claims certain attributes like lack of stock options to employees etc as an "East coast culture". Benefits are weak compared to a lot of bay area companies. HQ says they are not worried.

A highly political environment.

Recognize that the industry is moving forward, and at a faster rate. Cash cows are good, but innovation is what brings the bread home tomorrow.
    Provide CA employees some better roles to play from CA, without having to be present in Tampa
    Match Bay Area benefits if you want to retain employees in bay area.

Syniverse? Welcome to Just Another Uncaring Corporation.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Syniverse

Pros

Lots of technical challenges. Syniverse deals with so many complex, leading edge solutions, that there are always many opportunities to work with something new.

Cons

New management thinks anyone who was with the company before they came on board is incompetent. Obviously, if all of us who built the company into a billion dollar company were incompetent, it wouldn't BE a billion dollar company. New managements excessive ego is destroying moral at a record pace.

Get over yourselves. Learn to ACTUALLY value your employees rather than provide lip service. Keep a balance between work and home, and don't expect employees to continually work 60+ hour weeks while you continue to hold outsourcing as a threat to the employees security.

There are newer employer reviews for Syniverse

Worked for Syniverse? Contribute to the Community!