Stable and steady employment

Current Employee - Computer Consultant in Syracuse, NY
Current Employee - Computer Consultant in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Syracuse University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job security is high, and the university provides a highly stable job environment. Benefits are competitive, and the workplace is relatively laid back. Room to advance is easily available if you are interested in "sidegrades", as the same positions appear across campus and moving to a different department or school can net you a few thousand dollars more with the new position.

Cons

Layers of bureaucracy (Staff side of university) lead to innovation taking a long period of time, Wages on the lower end of the scale compared to state/national average

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Syracuse University

Current Employee - Director in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Director in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Syracuse University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Senior management that has ignored infrastructure and university issues is leaving.
    Lots of opportunities to improve and make a real impact.
    Higher Education is changing so it is exciting to be involved in those changes.
    So many different areas you can work in at the university that it gives people a lot more flexibility to try out different types of jobs and find your own calling

Cons

Politics at the higher management level is worse than corporate america.
    Sometimes the size of the organization makes it move very slowly but this could be because of current management which is leaving.

Advice to Management

Make sure that everyone is on the same page before implementing or you will be stopped and your progress will be halted.

2. Like one big orange family.

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Syracuse University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at SU has been a fantastic experience. Everybody in my department has been incredibly welcoming and kind. When I first came to SU in 2010, many others in my department gave me suggestions on where to go and took me out to the more notable restaurants in town. Though I know many university positions are department-specific and, thus, you would mostly be dealing with others in your department, my experiences with people in other departments has been equally as pleasing.

Cons

I think one of the major issues with SU has to do with parking. Of course, this is an issue at many large universities, however it seems that wherever you might park on campus, you'll have a good-sized walk through the snow (during winter, of course) to get to where you need to be. I don't know how that situation could ever be rectified, though.

I think some of the buildings could certainly be updated on the inside.

Advice to Management

Update the insides of the older buildings (but keep the beautiful facades). It would also be easier to perform some of the day-to-day tasks with payroll and parking if those offices were located on the main campus.