summer internship

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Houston, TX
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Sysco as an intern

Pros

long time and detailed trainnings; a plenty of networking opportunites with management even executives. The leadership valued it and require each intern to present their accomplishments at the end.

Cons

much lower payment than average for a graduate. Too much lesure time in the final 3 weeks before the final presentation. The company cut the budget this year and does not sponsor H1B anymore.

Advice to Management

need to feedback more quickly to applicant.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Sales

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Sysco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility during the day--great for if you have doctor appts or obligations with your small children that you might need to attend to. Good relationships with some of your customers are nice. If you are lucky enough to have a great boss- that would be a positive thing. Benefits are decent.

Cons

Customers will call you 24/7 so be ready to be oncall all of the time. You work on sundays -- so you work 6 days a week, then god forbid your customer needs something on a Saturday--you are expected to attend to them. Getting a good boss (DSM) will make all the difference in you ability to be successful in this job. I started out with a great boss and loved my job and ended up with a shitty boss and now hate this job. Pay is horrible as we have all pretty much taken pay cuts as they have recently restructured out pay. They also recently instituted the tracking device SALESFORCE.com and even though the software is not designed for sales such as this, they are myopic on us using it. Most people i know working here are pretty miserable and looking for other jobs.

Advice to Management

Dump the Salesforce software and all the other costly software and just get back to old fashioned sales!

From great, to good, to bad.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Sysco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

entreprenurial environment, friendly co-workers, flexability in schedule, training

Cons

compensations changes, no control over other departments that affect your sales and pay, less promotional trips and contests than previously, no desire for career advancement

Advice to Management

place some focus back on the customers and employees, we are losing customers all over the place and employees are not happy. Be the company you were 5+ years ago... economy or not.