There are newer employer reviews for Sysco

Typical corporation. Plenty of good people, but not a good work/life balance.

Current Employee - Merchandiser
Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at Sysco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The compensation is good...pay & benefits. Good people that ultimately care about providing top-level service & products to their customers. Also, they have locations across North America so you have opportunities to "move up the ladder" as positions become available, if you're willing to move.

Cons

No work/life balance. The culture lends itself to the expectation of 50+ hr work weeks for salaried associates. There have been many weeks that I've worked 60-70 hrs... Not all positions are like this, but most people that have "succeeded" have made significant sacrifices in their personal lives to attain the level they're at with the company. I don't believe this is unique to Sysco. Most large corporations expect a lot from their employees & if someone doesn't want to sacrifice their family life for the company, there's always someone willing to step in their place.

Find a way to continue to provide the level of service our customers have become accustomed to, but provide your employees a better chance at having a life outside of Sysco. Many good people have lived their lives "for Sysco" under the guise if "providing for their family" & 20 yrs later they're divorced with adult children that they didn't see grow up. If people are going to "give" that much, the least you could do is care enough to make sure they don't have to.

reviews filtered by
  1. I hope they have changed some things.....

I worked at Sysco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At one time the leadership was a strong pro. Once they engaged in the 212 project, a lot of change led by very unqualified leaders..

Cons

very old school beliefs with regard to Salary. The belief used to be such that working at Sysco was in and of itself a replacement for salaries. They used to pay at 40% under market.

If you decide to move away from an employee centric company, to one which is solely driven by numbers - please be honest and tell employees that is the path forward.

no a good job

I worked at Sysco

Pros

good pay thats about all

Cons

terrible hours, management talked down to people, overall bad experience

you suck