Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc

There are newer employer reviews for Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc

Great internship experience!

Former Intern - Intern in Alexandria, VA
Former Intern - Intern in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent company, especially the corporate ethos. Everyone was willing to help guide me through my tasks. Proactive and supportive people, truly a pleasure to work with. Worked on engaging projects which always felt meaningful.

Cons

Full formal business attire even in stifling DC heat, major tech hurdles at times.

Keep it up!

24 Other Employee Reviews for Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc (View Most Recent)

Good Company Benefits, But...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc

Pros

This company is an outstanding place to start a career in Defense. The benefits are excellent. In fact, few companies compare. Fresh out of college, it makes good sense for a young engineer, IT professional, analyst, etc. to cut their teeth. It's not even a bad place for a mid-level professional. But be prepared for antiquated ways of thinking where management philosophies and overall leadership is concerned. There are really two employment rankings there; the average paid (and not by Industry standards, either), and the very handsomely paid vice presidents, or division leads. There really is not much "in-between." The highly paid have either been there for a ga-zillion years demonstrating their undying loyalty to the CEO, Phil Lantz, thereby earning those big bucks, or are well-respected former military retirees (double-dippers). More times than not, these are individuals who are not progressive thinkers where modern management/leadership concepts are concerned and who know how to communicate effectively and get the most from their employees. That said, career advancement takes a back seat. So, do a couple or even three years and enjoy those perks and good benefits. Just don't get too used to it, as you won't find many places with your own office space outside SPA. But you will find other places that will land you better salaries, give you more experience, and help you grow professionally.

Cons

No career advancement. Not a clear "way forward" for the organization in terms of its future goals and aspirations.

If the CEO, Mr. Lantz engages himself more, he may find through communicating more with his staff where his rock stars really are. May need some good strategic planners onboard as well.

One of the best employers in America

Current Employee - Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc

Pros

Benefits are second to none, salary meets or exceeds similar employers in DC area. Company is not too large (500 employees), which means you'll get to know everyone from the President to the janitor.

Cons

SPA has many of the same downsides that come with working for any government contractor, but these are mostly out of the company's control. Off-site work environment, government shutdowns and the like cannot be controlled by the company.

Phil is probably the only person that I've worked for since I left the military that I would trust my life with. SPA is a successful company for a reason, and Phil's management style and ability to hire the right people accounts for almost all of that success.
    Not all management is in line with this. Some do not fully support his employees right to succeed in the company, but this is a small minority. There also seems to be a disconnect in how prior-service military members treat non-priors. Many of these people bring a lot to the table, and it should be a point of the company to foster this respect in the company culture (spoken from a prior-service myself).

There are newer employer reviews for Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc