There are newer employer reviews for T-Mobile

Great people to work with and advancement possible.

Former Employee - Cost Analyst in Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - Cost Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I worked at T-Mobile full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are great benefits, good co-workers, it is a fun industry.

Cons

Telecom - can you retire with the same company?

Other Employee Reviews for T-Mobile

1. Company that loves there workers

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Hickory, NC
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Hickory, NC

I have been working at T-Mobile part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have a great benefit package, looks out for employees with incentives and recognition, pay is comparable to other companies in industry.

Cons

T-Mobile is a little behind the times in the industry not just in customer base but also in the customer interaction side. Most of the things they are doing now have been done by other companies and those companies moved on to newer and greater things.

It used to be customer service and employee focused, now they only care about sales.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Bellingham, WA

I worked at T-Mobile full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not as much in recent years, but the company does try to make the call centers a good environment since the customer service job is definitely not an easy one. We had a game room, internet cafe, contests for free stuff and other things to try to make the workplace more fun. The employee phone plan and health benefits are fantastic. Pay is competitive. They also like to promote within the company when possible, making opportunities for advancement great if you perform well.

Cons

In recent years the focus has shifted from customer service to sales. There are unreasonable expectations; for example you have to have an average call time of about 320 seconds and have an upsell quota. If you don't meet the requirements you get no annual raise and can be fired. Management is rewarded based on their employees performance and can be ruthless, in some cases being more willing to fire an employee than spend the time helping them. As much as they try to foster a team atmosphere, they fail. Since the VP of Customer Service Sue Nokes (who was fantastic) left, the focus on the frontline people being treated well so that there is less turn over and the belief that happy employees will serve customers better is gone. On top of all of that, the job is just plain hard. Customers don't call to tell you how happy they are to pay their bill. You are frequently mistreated by customers and some of the company policies are so unreasonable that as a customer service representative you end up being helpless and forced to tell the customer something obviously unreasonable, so you take the abuse. Some of the systems that we used were buggy and slow, making it even harder to meet the expectations to complete calls quickly. Scheduling was unreasonably strict. You weren't allowed to go to the bathroom except on your breaks unless you had a medical reason and a doctor's note (though some managers could be more flexible on this, but that was the HR policy). All the good things that they do to try and make the workplace "fun" are undone by these types of ridiculous rules.

Advice to Management

To the people who make policies that have never worked on the frontline: take a day to observe a call center and what our job is like. Ask us what's not working. This is something you used to do that was lost. We know that the company has to protect it's interests, but it's in your interest to keep customers. Not only are you putting employees between a rock and a hard place where we're unable to give reasonable explanations to customers, you're losing customers because of it which puts all our jobs in danger. Asking that we complete a call in under six minutes while providing good customer service and trying to talk a customer into buying something whether they need it or not, and then punishing us for not being able to do it, makes for a terrible place to work. To direct supervisors, be supportive and available. We take a lot of abuse; don't refuse us when we need your help. Have a little flexibility when a customer is asking for something reasonable. One size does not always fit all and you do have that power. Be our advocate.