T-Mobile

There are newer employer reviews for T-Mobile

Exciting & Challenging.

Current Employee - Account Manager
Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very nimble company that's gets things done. They think outside the box from your every day wireless carrier.

Cons

Must provide better coverage in rural areas.

2371 Other Employee Reviews for T-Mobile (View Most Recent)

10 years in OPS, MetroPCS Merger laid me off.... Thanks for everything!

Former Employee - Network Engineer
    Former Employee - Network Engineer

I worked at T-Mobile full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Vast opportunities for training. Internally they have a state of the art web portal where you can get good training on just about anything. Externally you can take classes from vendors.

Your coworkers ("Individual Contributors") are a great group of people to work with for the most part. Every group has some quirks, but I have many people I consider true friends that I met while working at T-Mobile.

Great educational assistance program for getting your degree. One can get $5k/yr to help out with your degree. The program is administered online and all you need is your manager to approve the classes. TMO paid for my BS & MS degrees.

Decent "Comp Time" policy. Officially, work a week of on-call, get a free paid day off. Unofficially, work over 40hrs per week, depending upon your manger, you could start to bank some time to use instead of PTO.

Telecommuting to help save on transportation costs.

Decent pay for what one does after a few years. So much so, that I hated my job for 3+ years, but was stuck there because I had a great team I worked with and was making good money for what I did.

Internet reimbursement at home if used for after hours/on-call.

Decent severance package when one is laid off.

Cons

HUGE Gossip Mill, it is like junior high all over again. Who slept with who... "Did you see when ______ got into the office? Must be nice to work those hours..." "Did you hear that ____ missed work because they were arrested for DUI?"

Favoritism is abundant. Promotions are given for no rhyme or reason. If someone above you believes negative rumors, your career is shot.

Training for managers is a joke. For example, "managers" frequently are promoted from within by rewarding a good engineer. Unfortunately most technical people at T-Mobile do not possess the skill set to be a good manager. As a result, high strung/drama micro-managers are abundant in the organization. The remaining engineers are punished by having an ineffective manager whom many begin to resent.

New managers brought in from outside TMO always want to "make their mark" and start making crazy decisions going against standing orders (learned via poor decisions causing outages in the past) from VPs and above. Engineers are put in a position where they have to tell the new manager "no", get yelled at, then when Sr. Managers confirm the engineer's position the new manger is angry with the engineer.

Many times on pet projects, managers/Lead Engineers when asking for your feedback/review they do not want feedback, they want a rubber stamp approval to feed their ego. Pointing out incorrect node names and Cisco IOS commands in a MOP gets you labeled as a troublemaker and not recognized for being through.

H1Bs stick to their ethnic clicks for the most part. Some barely speak English and/or have such extreme accents one can not understand them on a call. H1Bs constantly speak in their native dialect on the phone so loud that it often impacts the business operations of the office.

Managers/Directors institute policies and when employees follow policies, employees are "thrown under the bus" or labeled as a non-team player.

Directors and above are treated like GODs and can do no wrong. Racism, favoritism, and incompetence at management seem to not matter to HR or anyone in upper management.

Some teams are constantly complaining about something or another. Games are played about who's responsibility is what. Unethical and unprofessional behaviors are tolerated as groups pick and choose when to follow the Network Policy Guide (defines who is responsible for what part of the network/osi model).

Relocation is a nightmare. Weather you rent/own a home there are a ton of pitfalls.

T-Mobile is famous for selling employees on values and bonus metrics and then nickel and dimming employees. For example, we would be at 99% of the EBIDA goal according to the numbers, so employees would only get a 50% bonus payout if that...

Take the twitter account away from the CEO... having him talk smack to the DOJ, AT&T, and others makes him sound like an immature idiot. Also if you could have him stop from swearing at press conferences and internal meetings that would be great also.

Bring back the 2 free phones per year/employee with 5 yrs seniority. Taking away that benefit costs your employees $1000 per year. Just because no other carrier does it is not a valid reason to eliminate the plan. Are these policies really defining T-Mobile as being the "Best place to work" ? Morale is sinking fast.

It's never enough

Former Employee - Technician in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Technician in Detroit, MI

I worked at T-Mobile full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great health plan. Salary is commensurate with experience.

Cons

The hours were unpredictable. The position involves flexibility in working hours but working during the day then expecting someone to pull a midnight shift that same day is excessive. The underlings aren't informed of the short term goals so it's not possible to suggest smarter ways to accomplish those goals.

Work upper management has been doing to inform employees of long term goals is admirable. Please stop acknowledging the hard work that has been accomplished then turning around telling us we need to work harder to get to "X". Makes us feel that whatever we do isn't good enough to satisfy upper management.

There are newer employer reviews for T-Mobile