T. Rowe Price

There are newer employer reviews for T. Rowe Price

Good company

Current Employee - Senior Client Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
Current Employee - Senior Client Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benefits are decent and the people are nice

Cons

the pay is not competitive

287 Other Employee Reviews for T. Rowe Price (View Most Recent)

Couldn't leave fast enough

Former Employee - Investment Specialist
    Former Employee - Investment Specialist

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers, You learn a lot about personal finance

Cons

Working in a call center is hard no matter where you are but the environment that this company has created has contributed to more than 20% of the Sales department leaving in the last 6 months. You are over worked and under valued. The micro management is so extreme I've heard someone coached to sit up straighter. You clock in and clock out and every single minute of your day is monitored. There is NO work/life balance. You will have to work weekends and don't even think about getting time off unless you ask 2/3 months in advance. I worked there through 3 holiday seasons and never once got off Christmas Eve or Black Friday off through their "lottery" system. Middle management is rampant with some of the most incompetent people I've met in the industry and like stated in previous posts is very political. Bonus' are not competitive and don't expect a pay increase of more than 2%. There is very little opportunity for advancement outside of a call center position if that is where you started. It doesn't help that they just closed almost all of their branches. Overall I would not recommend staying at this company for my longer than a year.

This is to the GMs and the DMs. You NEED to value your employees more. You're losing your most talented employees and hiring less qualified less intelligent people to talk on the phones. Do you see the problem, especially since you decided to have this be the only venue for investors? Your hiring people that can't even obtain their licenses. Focus more on retention of EMPLOYEES not just investors. Also if you really expect USM to work you better start loosening your pockets. How can you honestly expect an employee to do 4x the work for a $1000 pay increase?

Disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent pay
    Some upward mobility opportunities
    Friendly and intelligent coworkers
    Fun, semi-frequent corporate events
    Frequent and interesting training
    Willing to hire and train people with no experience
    Good vacation time after a few years
    Fairly good insurance

Cons

Inconsistent rule enforcement
    Inconsistent management competence
    Inconsistent management support
    Inconsistent mobility opportunities
    Low flexibility on shifts
    Huge workload
    Lots of overtime, especially during the end of the year through the tax filing deadline
    High stress

Overall, I think the company has just gotten a little too focused on cutting corners. When I first started, it was fun and enjoyable, but as more time went on, I started to feel that I was being squeezed for every ounce of work I could put out. If more time was devoted to processing or researching it would have been much less stressful. There was no time for anything off the phones, even outside of tax season, and it made for a very isolated and stressful work environment, especially when time off the phones was consistently cancelled. Maybe it would also end up being cheaper to just hire more people, rather than paying overtime and increasing the stress of the people already there.

Some managers were excellent at helping to relieve stress, while others fostered it. Perhaps a more consistent approach to letting the supervisors and seniors focus on helping the phone reps would help, rather than constantly having them attend higher-up meetings.

I would still recommend this job to friends who need something to learn about finances or how to talk to people, to make money for a little while, or to just get an entrance into the financial industry, but I would not recommend it as a career anymore.

There are newer employer reviews for T. Rowe Price