T. Rowe Price

www.troweprice.com

Depends on where you work...

Retirement Specialist (Former Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsFriendly co-workers for the most part, that's the best part. Decent place to start off your career and get ground level experience in finance.

ConsThe entire department of Retirement Plan Services (RPS). I would highly recommend you AVOID this part of the company at all costs. They will advertise "room for advancement", but your pay never gets much better and the so-called advancement is just them circulating you through the departments. And unless you know someone, every "promotion" is preceded by an entire interview process, which is the sole deciding factor in you getting your new position. Its entirely conceivable to be crushing all of your departments rating metrics and be loved by your manager, but if the current 'leadership' happen to like someone else, then so sorry, try again next time.

In the end, even if you get the promotion, new managers working there for 5+ years will barely hit $50k, with no over-time pay. In my almost 6 years there, I never even broke the $45k mark.

This is the part where they will point out that if you're not salaried, then your income will be supplemented by overtime. Boy, will it ever. In the course of about 5 years, RPS went from occasional overtime and the ability to "flex" overtime and leave early some days, to constant overtime and no flexing allowed whatsoever. In some departments, they even have mandatory early start times and shortened lunches every week. Most weeks, you will know you have 2-3 hours of overtime coming, before you even start the week. Add on the additional overtime, and you're looking at a lot of 9-10 hour days, more the rule than an exception. Don't expect a personal life unless you have a family. If you have a family, you can cop out and claim you need to leave early or come in late and its usually universally acceptable. Anybody else, you're screwed, as you have to pick up the slack for those lucky few.

The final nail in the coffin is the stigma attached to RPS. Other departments won't hire you. They know that RPS hires, literally, uneducated people, and people with zero experience. So when you apply outside of RPS, your resume is often times ignored. Being internal is a liability more than a boon from within RPS. You might as well leave and work somewhere else, then in 6 months to a year, apply to that same position and you'll get an interview at the very least, probably even hired. Crazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementPriority number one is to PAY YOUR PEOPLE. I realize you hire a lot of under-experienced and uneducated people, but once you find good talent, pay those people more to keep them. I watched countless reps get hired, cycle through the departments, and then leave once they realized they wouldn't make any money. There is a constant ongoing training and coaching system that never stops, because once someone gets trained, they're off to greener pastures. There is literally no incentive to stay at TRP in RPS. The pay is sub par, the bonuses are laughable, and there is zero respect for a person's talent and experience. Shape up RPS.

Disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Excellent pay Some upward mobility opportunities Friendly and intelligent coworkers Fun, semi-frequent corporate events Frequent and interesting training Willing to… Cons: Inconsistent rule enforcement Inconsistent management competence Inconsistent management support Inconsistent mobility opportunities Low flexibility on shifts Huge workload Lots of… Advice to Senior Management: Overall, I think the company has just gotten a little too focused on cutting corners. When I first started, it was fun and enjoyable, but… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

no opportunity for quick growth

Service Associate (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than a year

Pros: 401k match, employee stock, good 1st job Cons: no effort made to recognize or cultivate talent among young… Advice to Senior Management: develop programs to help young associates further their careers No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on T. Rowe Price.

Worked for T. Rowe Price? Contribute to the Community!