More Cons than Pros

Former Employee - Supervisor in Owings Mills, MD
Former Employee - Supervisor in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, great looking campus, good place for building a financial education foundation.

Cons

Where do I begin......is anyone really expected to believe a review written where everything is wonderful and the writer's only Cons are "location, heat, and traffic cops???" Really? I had friends in HR who would tell me that HR would go in and instead of reviewing the cons to see what they could fix they would put these bogus positive reviews. There's your first problem. Second, dont hold forums to ask associates and management what upper management can do to help improve the department just to appease them then not act on their ideas. Your associates are not idiots and know that is all you do. You guys think you're sneaky but you're not. Next, hire more people. You wonder why you have tons of OT in every department all of the time.......well its because the company is growing. When you have 1,000 plans in 2008 and now have over 1,400 plans in 2013 yet you have the same number of associates servicing that number of customers you're going to have tons of OT. Its basic business management. I understand that there are budgets you need to stick to but if you're client base is growing that rapidly you should be able to afford hiring more people, unless you promise these clients the world with custom plan features that the company cant follow through on making it hard on the associates who perform these functions and who have to work tons of OT to make these promises happen, yet get a 0.49% increase and $500 bonus. Finally the pay is horrible. Quit saying that the benefits are great and they offset the lower pay cause it doesnt. Benefits are mediocre, at best. Make the pay competitive and the bonuses and merit raises something to strive for. If you have everyone working well above the department average and they get their year end rating as a "Solid Performer" with a minimal raise and bonus dont wonder why they slow their production down the following year. If you worked your butt off and didnt get recognized for it wouldnt you work less???

Advice to Management

Hire mid and upper management based on what they know, not cause their nice. I've seen too many seniors doing supervisor jobs and supervisors doing group manager jobs because their bosses dont know what their doing. Its not rocket science, promote cause they can make a difference not because they're a "yes" man/woman. Also, if there are issues dont go to the DM or GM of the department - go to the root of the problem and ask the associates, seniors and supervisors and most of all dont hold these meetings with said DMs and GMs in the room or you're not going to get all of the facts. Do a skip level every once in a while. The mid level management is going to do nothing but try to hide it and the supervisors dont want to say anything bad in front of their bosses. Finally PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES!!!! I cant tell you how many employees have left to go on to make $15-30k more per year doing less work in their same role at another company. Review the salary structure and ask can we really keep expecting more without compensating for it? With salary so low employees are not inclined to stay for increased stress with not enough money to offset it. This give your competitors a unique edge and ability to easily poach your talent away from you.

Other Employee Reviews for T. Rowe Price

1. Good company

Current Employee - Senior Client Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Client Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

benefits are decent and the people are nice

Cons

the pay is not competitive

Couldn't leave fast enough

Former Employee - Investment Specialist
    Former Employee - Investment Specialist

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers, You learn a lot about personal finance

Cons

Working in a call center is hard no matter where you are but the environment that this company has created has contributed to more than 20% of the Sales department leaving in the last 6 months. You are over worked and under valued. The micro management is so extreme I've heard someone coached to sit up straighter. You clock in and clock out and every single minute of your day is monitored. There is NO work/life balance. You will have to work weekends and don't even think about getting time off unless you ask 2/3 months in advance. I worked there through 3 holiday seasons and never once got off Christmas Eve or Black Friday off through their "lottery" system. Middle management is rampant with some of the most incompetent people I've met in the industry and like stated in previous posts is very political. Bonus' are not competitive and don't expect a pay increase of more than 2%. There is very little opportunity for advancement outside of a call center position if that is where you started. It doesn't help that they just closed almost all of their branches. Overall I would not recommend staying at this company for my longer than a year.

Advice to Management

This is to the GMs and the DMs. You NEED to value your employees more. You're losing your most talented employees and hiring less qualified less intelligent people to talk on the phones. Do you see the problem, especially since you decided to have this be the only venue for investors? Your hiring people that can't even obtain their licenses. Focus more on retention of EMPLOYEES not just investors. Also if you really expect USM to work you better start loosening your pockets. How can you honestly expect an employee to do 4x the work for a $1000 pay increase?