T. Rowe Price
www.troweprice.com Baltimore, MD 5000+ Employees

More Cons than Pros

Supervisor (Former Employee)
Owings Mills, MD

ProsGreat culture, great looking campus, good place for building a financial education foundation.

ConsWhere do I begin......is anyone really expected to believe a review written where everything is wonderful and the writer's only Cons are "location, heat, and traffic cops???" Really? I had friends in HR who would tell me that HR would go in and instead of reviewing the cons to see what they could fix they would put these bogus positive reviews. There's your first problem.

Second, dont hold forums to ask associates and management what upper management can do to help improve the department just to appease them then not act on their ideas. Your associates are not idiots and know that is all you do. You guys think you're sneaky but you're not. Next, hire more people. You wonder why you have tons of OT in every department all of the time.......well its because the company is growing. When you have 1,000 plans in 2008 and now have over 1,400 plans in 2013 yet you have the same number of associates servicing that number of customers you're going to have tons of OT. Its basic business management. I understand that there are budgets you need to stick to but if you're client base is growing that rapidly you should be able to afford hiring more people, unless you promise these clients the world with custom plan features that the company cant follow through on making it hard on the associates who perform these functions and who have to work tons of OT to make these promises happen, yet get a 0.49% increase and $500 bonus. Finally the pay is horrible. Quit saying that the benefits are great and they offset the lower pay cause it doesnt.

Benefits are mediocre, at best. Make the pay competitive and the bonuses and merit raises something to strive for. If you have everyone working well above the department average and they get their year end rating as a "Solid Performer" with a minimal raise and bonus dont wonder why they slow their production down the following year. If you worked your butt off and didnt get recognized for it wouldnt you work less???

Advice to Senior ManagementHire mid and upper management based on what they know, not cause their nice. I've seen too many seniors doing supervisor jobs and supervisors doing group manager jobs because their bosses dont know what their doing. Its not rocket science, promote cause they can make a difference not because they're a "yes" man/woman.

Also, if there are issues dont go to the DM or GM of the department - go to the root of the problem and ask the associates, seniors and supervisors and most of all dont hold these meetings with said DMs and GMs in the room or you're not going to get all of the facts. Do a skip level every once in a while. The mid level management is going to do nothing but try to hide it and the supervisors dont want to say anything bad in front of their bosses.

Finally PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES!!!! I cant tell you how many employees have left to go on to make $15-30k more per year doing less work in their same role at another company. Review the salary structure and ask can we really keep expecting more without compensating for it? With salary so low employees are not inclined to stay for increased stress with not enough money to offset it. This give your competitors a unique edge and ability to easily poach your talent away from you.

Depends on where you work...

Retirement Specialist (Former Employee)
    Owings Mills, MD

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Friendly co-workers for the most part, that's the best part. Decent… Cons: The entire department of Retirement Plan Services (RPS). I would highly recommend you AVOID this part of the company at all costs. They… Advice to Senior Management: Priority number one is to PAY YOUR PEOPLE. I realize you hire a lot of under-experienced and uneducated people, but once you find good… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Excellent pay Some upward mobility opportunities Friendly and intelligent coworkers Fun, semi-frequent corporate events Frequent and interesting training Willing to… Cons: Inconsistent rule enforcement Inconsistent management competence Inconsistent management support Inconsistent mobility opportunities Low flexibility on shifts Huge workload Lots of… Advice to Senior Management: Overall, I think the company has just gotten a little too focused on cutting corners. When I first started, it was fun and enjoyable, but… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on T. Rowe Price.

Worked for T. Rowe Price? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at T. Rowe Price reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for T. Rowe Price CEO James A. C. Kennedy. All reviews posted anonymously by T. Rowe Price employees.