Things have changed

Current Employee - CPS Associate in Owings Mills, MD
Current Employee - CPS Associate in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Top rated mutual funds, opportunity to learn and be connected to the market and broaden your financial knowledge, strong customer focus, pretty good company benefits, great campus and opportunity to get involved in activities if i you want to.

Cons

Pay is low, staffing seems to be very tight and is constantly supplemented with associate OT, causing all of us to work more and more as spots are left open longer and longer and or just not filled. Impact to ability to have appropriate work life balance. Less and less development due to this tighter staffing model, as we have to be processing or on the phone. Supervisors and GMs are younger and younger and have less and less experience. Appears to be a shift in what they are looking for or possibly why some are leaving certain areas at a rapid pace. We are losing a lot of talented associates and leaders and backfilling with those with little experience leading. Less experience does not prepare them for what is needed in these roles and the challenges that are presented with an unstaffed work force and changing demands of increased customer expectations. Often, being in a supervisor role for 2 years has not prepared them to support supervisors for difficult customer situations we are seeing and escalating. Historically, I would see supervisors with more years of experience and who had worked in various groups move into these roles. Now, people are being promoted after 1-2 years and it is showing to us associates, as they cannot support us, or their broader leadership team. GMs are not holding supervisors accountable for associate development or engagement. Not sure what they are doing most of the time...

Advice to Management

Look closer at open positions and the impact it has on those working directly with customers. What is the risk of leaving them open for so long? Also, why are so many people and leaders leaving from certain areas? Why won't good leaders come in and fill open spots? I have been here for some time and am well aware even as an associate what is going on and know we need CEO intervention to help get us back where we were. We used to be a great place to work and people wanted to work a few years back. Please bring us back before everyone leaves. Help!!

Other Employee Reviews for T. Rowe Price

1. Good place to start a career

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance. No stress after work

Cons

Low pay, Low pay, and Low pay

More Cons than Pros

Former Employee - Supervisor in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, great looking campus, good place for building a financial education foundation.

Cons

Where do I begin......is anyone really expected to believe a review written where everything is wonderful and the writer's only Cons are "location, heat, and traffic cops???" Really? I had friends in HR who would tell me that HR would go in and instead of reviewing the cons to see what they could fix they would put these bogus positive reviews. There's your first problem. Second, dont hold forums to ask associates and management what upper management can do to help improve the department just to appease them then not act on their ideas. Your associates are not idiots and know that is all you do. You guys think you're sneaky but you're not. Next, hire more people. You wonder why you have tons of OT in every department all of the time.......well its because the company is growing. When you have 1,000 plans in 2008 and now have over 1,400 plans in 2013 yet you have the same number of associates servicing that number of customers you're going to have tons of OT. Its basic business management. I understand that there are budgets you need to stick to but if you're client base is growing that rapidly you should be able to afford hiring more people, unless you promise these clients the world with custom plan features that the company cant follow through on making it hard on the associates who perform these functions and who have to work tons of OT to make these promises happen, yet get a 0.49% increase and $500 bonus. Finally the pay is horrible. Quit saying that the benefits are great and they offset the lower pay cause it doesnt. Benefits are mediocre, at best. Make the pay competitive and the bonuses and merit raises something to strive for. If you have everyone working well above the department average and they get their year end rating as a "Solid Performer" with a minimal raise and bonus dont wonder why they slow their production down the following year. If you worked your butt off and didnt get recognized for it wouldnt you work less???

Advice to Management

Hire mid and upper management based on what they know, not cause their nice. I've seen too many seniors doing supervisor jobs and supervisors doing group manager jobs because their bosses dont know what their doing. Its not rocket science, promote cause they can make a difference not because they're a "yes" man/woman. Also, if there are issues dont go to the DM or GM of the department - go to the root of the problem and ask the associates, seniors and supervisors and most of all dont hold these meetings with said DMs and GMs in the room or you're not going to get all of the facts. Do a skip level every once in a while. The mid level management is going to do nothing but try to hide it and the supervisors dont want to say anything bad in front of their bosses. Finally PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES!!!! I cant tell you how many employees have left to go on to make $15-30k more per year doing less work in their same role at another company. Review the salary structure and ask can we really keep expecting more without compensating for it? With salary so low employees are not inclined to stay for increased stress with not enough money to offset it. This give your competitors a unique edge and ability to easily poach your talent away from you.