There are newer employer reviews for TD Ameritrade

Little Free-Thinking Welcome - Stay in the Box!!

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Omaha, NE
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, good pay (if you negotiate well at hire), and rarely did I have to work OT.

Cons

Like a lot of these reviews have said, middle management is a huge problem - and those above them may get a lot of the blame for encouraging this attitude with the rewarding of yes-men. I was actually told once that the new initiative I was working on would step on one of those middle manager's toes so I should stop. Many of us have many stories like this. You learn to just keep your mouth shut, toe the party line, do nothing outside the box, and look for another job if you'd like anything more from your career. I'm sure there are good areas to work and good managers at this company, but in two positions in different areas of the organization I saw the same thing. Remember that this is a company with a history of massive layoffs, so the people in charge are the people who made it through, and so are often those who managed to toe the line and not cause any waves. These are the people in management.

Advice to Management

"Innovation" is more than just a word you can paint on the walls or hand out in flyers. So many associates are having their ideas suppressed every day. Though you say this isn't the case, we all have seen multiple people let go because they dared to speak up or challenge the status quo (or challenged "the wrong person").

Other Employee Reviews for TD Ameritrade

Upper management is a little lost, and tend to undercut opportunities with poor decisions

Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity for above average pay

Cons

That opportunity is typically over-sold to prospective employees. The reality is that they tend to over-hire and after recent restructuring they are without a decent corporate vision. Too many yes men without real vision have been pushed up to the highest levels of management.

Advice to Management

New management has so far consistently failed to provide anything positive to the average employee. Virtually every dollar spent is on poorly thought out ideas that fail, and almost instantly convert into sunk costs. Just get out of the way.

2. Great Company to Work Far and great employees

Former Employee - Administrator in El Cajon, CA
    Former Employee - Administrator in El Cajon, CA

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Salary and benefits and bonus and company gifts

Cons

Everyone has to be licensed even administrative employees