There are newer employer reviews for TD Ameritrade

Great corporate culture, poor compensation

Former Intern - Investor Services
Former Intern - Investor Services

I worked at TD Ameritrade as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Corporate culture is great. Definitely get the sense that they mean what they say in their missions and values.

Flexible schedules that give you a choice of what shifts to work so you can work it around your classes

Rotates you through the different departments of Investor Services giving you insight and exposure to different opportunities.

Provides employee's with market knowledge that wouldn't be touched upon typically in university classes.

With a large proportion of TD Ameritrade's revenue coming from interest receivable, company stands to grow rapidly if the economy recovers and interest rates are raised

Cons

20 hours a week if a bit much for students for an internship during the school year, especially if they have to commute. 20 hours a week is a bit light during the summer time.

The work you'll be doing during your internship, while interesting and enjoyable, doesn't really prepare you for what you would actually be doing as a full-time employee.

Compensation is very low compared to other companies in the industry. Starting pay is light, and the opportunities for advancement appear to be horizontal moves, not vertical moves. Makes career advancement difficult

Provide better compensation to employee's to help attract top-notch talent. Integrate better leadership program's to better help vertical advancement opportunities for employee's.

reviews filtered by
  1. Start off your career with a bang!

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere and love the front line people.

Cons

In the middle of no where

Alcatraz Would Be More Tolerable!

Former Employee - Financial Representative in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in DFW, TX

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Always something to laugh at.
    -Pay is more than reasonable for the majority of the employees.

Cons

Everything! None of the positions at this company are glamorous, however a reasonable person would realize this and accept it for what it is. You are going to be on the phone all day doing a very repetitive job that will never be fun. This isn't Goldman Sachs and you will seldom have any conversation that will breach the borders of Finance 101. That being said, there is no shame in it and it certainly could be much worse. Sadly, the average employee at the company does not understand this. Most believe that they are the second coming of Gordon Gekko. I have seen employees rocking suspenders and bowties, albeit surely from JC Penney or Kohl's. Unfortunately, the corporate culture actually endorses such behavior which only proliferates the douchery. All in the good name of fun, the company has created a culture that demeans the individual. I once had to participate in an event that involved making a bridge out of toothpicks as a teambuilding event. The odd thing is you are never really on a team, because you are all on your own on the phone!! I had 7 managers in 6 years and each one was a simpleton. They will attempt to brainwash you at all costs. You will constantly be advised to work on your "brand". It's absolutely unreal. Everyday I went to work I felt like Luke Wilson in Idiocracy. Now that being said, if you are someone who is not very bright and enjoys holding on to your childhood, then by all means this is the ideal place for you. However, if you have an IQ north of 85 I would suggest seeking out other opportunities. This place will drive you insane!!

There is no advice I can give you. It would fall on deaf ears anyways.

There are newer employer reviews for TD Ameritrade