There are newer employer reviews for TD Ameritrade

I found this to be an excellent company with great career potential for anyone interested in financial services.

Former Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Teamwork, integrity, lifelong friendships developed, challenging roles. Great benefits.

Cons

Lower end of pay scale.

Advice to Management

Encourage employee feedback.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Investment Consultant

Current Employee - Investment Consultant
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top producers can make a lot of money through bonuses, RSUs, etc.

Cons

TDA is becoming a serious micromanager. It was bad when I first came on board, but it has progressively gotten worse. It is almost to the point of suffocation.

The client reporting and portfolio analysis tools available to ICs are subpar. Therefore, our presentations to clients are not as thorough as our competition.

And communication from management is poor.

I have not been pleased with my experience at TD, other than an uptick in my total take home pay compared with my previous job.

Lastly, and most importantly, they do not take good care of their employees health needs. I was sent to the hospital one day and was told to use one of my 15 (annual) Paid Days Off. TD encourages ICs to come into the office if they have the flu or are sick because they will have to use one of their 15 Paid Days Off. And Paid Time Off (PTO) is typically saved for vacation time. There is no difference between sick days and vacation days - it all falls under PTO.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your team. Listen to their feedback and make changes, or you will continue to loose talent. Take care of their health needs. Stop micromanaging ICs as if they are children. It wastes our time and takes away from our time with clients.

Terribly Low Compensation, Severely Low Options to move up

Former Employee - Order Room Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Order Room Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers were very good people, and created a great work environment.

Cons

Corporate leadership was terrible. Individuals in the senior management and up category rarely have a clue about what the job is of the people that they represent. Manager and assistant manager jobs go to people that aren't the best workers or have the best track record--they generally go to those that went out to lunch or drinks all the time with those that promoted them.

This is a good start if you are 21 years old and want to suck them dry for the license options and move on. Most people do go that route.