TESSCO

www.tessco.com

Tremendous Opportunity for those with Aptitude

Pros

The people are some of the best you will meet!!
Training is top shelf. Atmosphere fosters learning and technical knowledge development.

Cons

Successful employees grossly under compensated. Management concerned with staying on the top of the hill. Micromanagement detracts from focusing on the bigger picture.

Management needs to create more clearly defined career paths for those employees who wish to advance. Pay attention to employees who are contributing to the bottom line and work to compensate them more accurately or TESSCO will continue to bleed talent.

Other reviews for TESSCO

Great Culture and People but Politics and Favoritism

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lutherville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lutherville, MD

Pros

Friendly supervisors and team co-workers. Overall positive happy cultural environment. Staff does things for birthdays (ballon, card, food and lunch), Raven's Football and Holidays.

TESSCO does give out value share bonuses every year if the company does well. Get that extra check!

If you have a cool supervisor and have an important role then your annual evaluation review will be awesome.

You get a lot of vacation time and flexible schedule. From my experience, my supervisor was very understanding when I needed time off if I was sick or planning vacation. My supervisor was NOT micromanagement if I was running a few minutes late which was great.

Tuition reimbursement benefits. Get that Master's degree paid by TESSCO! If you are pursuing a Master's that relates to your job at TESSCO then the company will cover you.

I recommend this company for a young professional looking to build 2-3 years of experience on their resume. After that, move on if there are no other positions that interest you.

Cons

Your career won't really advance unless your boss or someone with executive powers favors you. It's all about WHO you know and how MUCH they LIKE you. Your skills and previous experience could be great but if your supervisor favors someone else there is nothing you can do really. My experience started out great but then went flat like a soda that is why this review is rated 3 stars. If I could rate 3.5, I would.

Some projects are given to a "favorite" on a high level exposure while other employees get small unnoticeable projects or they are ignored even though they have the skills and experience.

Also TESSCO invests in new hires but will sometimes drop employees that have been with the company 10 years or more. Within 2 weeks I saw 3 people get fired when the company wasn't doing well. One person was replaced by a fresh college grad that they can pay for less for doing the same thing.

Also I've seen the CEO promote people to VP level or hire a new VP above managers that have been there awhile because he likes them.

For annual evaluations, allow employees the opportunity to submit anonymous feedback to voice concerns to help monitor favoritism or unfair activity.

More diversity in executive roles. Where are the Black or Latino Vice Presidents? I've seen like one Asian and one Indian at an executive level.

Old Men Need to Step Down

Former Employee - PK Specialist  in  Timonium, MD
    Former Employee - PK Specialist in Timonium, MD

Pros

I started working there during the time when ladies did not have to wear panty hose during the summer any longer and men did not have to wear sports coats and ties. So I would say a pro is relaxed environment. I was "upstairs" which was very different than the sales department downstairs. The infrastructure team was pretty laid back as long as you got your work done.

Cons

Leadership was deadset on staying in charge. A young friend was in the process of getting a promotion and one of the VP's told him he might be "too young" to handle the job. Two years later he is excelling in the role. Not only is this a HUGE HR violation, this is not how to run a company. It is good to have new ideas, and important to promote younger people to give them an opportunity to prove themselves instead to stereotyping them based on age alone. That's TESSCO for you. Its an old Baltimore company that is set in its ways.

Advice to management is listen to the younger generation. You don't have to take all their advice, but at least invite them into the board rooms and pretend to not be so discriminating.

There are newer employer reviews for TESSCO.

Worked for TESSCO? Contribute to the Community!