THINK Together

There are newer employer reviews for THINK Together

so frustrating

Current Employee - Program Leader
Current Employee - Program Leader

I have been working at THINK Together full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If your looking for teaching experience its great
Work with children
you will have time in your day to do other things.

Cons

-Unless your around 16-23 without kids don't apply.
 -Forced to give maximum effort only for 11 dollars an hour for 3-4 hours a day, with out EVER receiving a pay raise no matter how many years you work or how great you are.
-Only company favorites are promoted.
-If you are a Sub. some managers will take advantage of you.
-Rewards and incentives from children come out of your own pocket.
-Checks will not be received regularly.
-May not receive unemployment during the summer even if their is no work at all.
-They do not care about Program Leaders at all.
I-f you have an amazing year your forced to try 2x's a hard the next for the same amount of pay and no recognition. Their are no incentives to better.
-If your sick for more than 3 days even with a doctor's note you will be fired.
-Its all about how many students you can keep in your program.(I had a student who back talked, started fights with other students, and even tried to cut a kid with scissors. This student was kept in our program just to keep the attendance number up.)
-Your held to a ridiculous schedule and lesson plan that you can't meet.
-Only the favorites are promoted.
-You really don't get out what you put in (whoever said you did is definitively not a program leader and probably gets paid for their efforts.)
-You almost do the same amount of work as a teacher in a short amount of time and little pay
-If your a try hard like me and want to please and do a good job, you will be burned out.
-No breaks

Advice to Employee
Being a sub PL is way easier. Your held to less standards and there is no pressure at all to keep up with the schedule. And if the kids like you, you will often be requested to come back, so there is no lack of work.

At every meeting all we talk about are the kids the kids the kids......
What about your employees?
How can we make kids happy if employees are not?

105 Other Employee Reviews for THINK Together (View Most Recent)

Former Program Leader

Former Employee - Program Leader
    Former Employee - Program Leader

I worked at THINK Together part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-The kids, hands down. The fact that you are able to help them academically and make a difference in their lives. They are what kept me going when I was deeply unhappy with the organization.
    - Get to know really good coworkers who help you get through it
    - Gain experience managing a classroom under rigid guidelines

Cons

- The aforementioned rigid guidelines, there an absurd amount of rules for a three hour after school program. A structured program is understandable but it often was not enjoyable for the kids.
    - It isn't really about the kids, it's what they preach but it isn't true. It often felt like a show was being put on for visitors from upper management or for the principal. Entire routines would be changed when a visitor would come.
    - No consistency at all with scheduling, could change the day of. Was asked to stay several times after my scheduled hours.
    - No breaks. On early days or days when scheduled fours hours a bathroom break would have been nice. The SC's should at least extend the courtesy of asking.
    - Hostile school staff. The teachers often do not want you in their classroom at all.
    - Severely underfunded, the amount you are given and what you are expected to do in regards to salary and activities do not match up at all.
    - Almost no prep time, maybe 10 minutes to prepare lessons for the day.

One of the core rules that this company makes the kids say before every single thing they do is to be respectful. Maybe you should practice what you preach. Was often talked to like a child myself by the SC and by every person who came from upper management to observe (tell me everything I was doing wrong). I initially liked this company because I thought it was about the children, not one person who came from upper management ever commented on my teaching ability or impact on the kids. All they were concerned about were signs and if lines were straight and if we were following protocol, while some emphasis on that is understandable, that isn't really the most important thing. Good intent and good mission, it' s just gone about in the wrongest possible way. Perhaps if the PL's were treated with some more respect, there wouldn't be such a constant turnover.

"You get what you give"

I have been working at THINK Together full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

THINK Together is is a non-profit that really invest in all share holders and promotes upward mobility. Provides profesional development training and is truly directed by their stated mission an vision.

Initially, I was a program leader (PL) for an elementary program site. Being a PL is not a "piece of cake", however, I found motivation in the students I was making a better future for and had the support of a genuine site coordinator who shared my same goal of helping children succeed. As a program leader, the level in which you directly impact the lives of 20-25 students in your care is immeasurable- more importantly, some fail tounderstand that can be in either a positive or negative way. It is my belief that if you are intrinsically motivated to provide children with the much needed additional support academically, socially, physically and emotionally, the rewards of being a program leader will far transcend the challenges.

As a program leader, I was able to partcipate in a "Building the Bench Model"- a professional development program to learn site coordinator (SC) responsibilities. Aftera thorough interview process, I was given the opportunity to serve as a dual elementary SC. Although challenging, I was able to learn valuable professional skill sets and work collaboratively with amazing educational administrators.

This year I am working with THINK Together in a completely new promotional position in the HC Department. Serving in this new role has allowed me to expand my professional network and positively impact lives on a larger area scale.

Ultimately, you get what you give.

Cons

Employee turn overs- Individuals considering work in the non-profit field should make sure that they motivated by the mission, vision and values of the non-profit they are seeking employment.

Those interviewing incoming candidates should keep in mind THINK Together's mision and vision during the assessment.

There are newer employer reviews for THINK Together