There are newer employer reviews for THINK Together

Plain no room for advancement

I worked at THINK Together part-time

Pros

Experience in Education but other than that there isn't much it offers

Cons

Difficult work, Little pay, and management is in shambles

Other Employee Reviews for THINK Together

Former PL in the High Desert

Former Employee - Program Leader in Victorville, CA
    Former Employee - Program Leader in Victorville, CA

I worked at THINK Together part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was an incredibly rewarding experience to work with the kids on a daily basis. Getting the chance to talk to parents at the end of each day was beneficial and THEY voiced their appreciation for what we were doing for their kids. The teachers I worked with were very excited about the new program and were encouraging to those of us who were new to the field of education. As with most non-profits (or any job which tugs on your heartstrings), the pay is minimal. That just seems to come with the territory.

Cons

Unfortunately, the staff outside of our core group of PL's and SC were very negative. During our 2-day training we were told that there was a high turnover and I assumed that was because people went on to become teachers or somehow grew within the organization. I now realize that turnover is likely the cause of those on the front lines becoming frustrated and leaving. Despite being a brand-new program in the area, our site reviews were frequently met with nothing but lists of what we were doing wrong without much input on how we could improve. A Quality Assurance "Coach" should do just that...encourage your staff based on what they're doing correct and COACH them on what needs improvement. THINK talks about the importance of giving accolades, which we frequently did with our students. Ironically, the only accolades WE RECEIVED were from the internal school staff or parents. If not for the supportive nature of the team at our school (other PL's, SC, students, teachers and parents), I probably wouldn't have stayed as long as I did. Sometimes government funded programs get so caught up in expansion and gaining more contracts that they lose sight of their original mission. It seems like that is the case with this organization.

Advice to Management

If management has any sense, they will read all of the reviews in their entirety in order to see what is good within their company and what areas could use some extra attention.

A lot of work for little pay

Former Employee - Program Leader in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Program Leader in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at THINK Together part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Helping the kids who need it most - Other Program Leaders or Site Coordinators who were willing to work with you and help - Willing to work with you if you have trouble with the kids

Cons

- Low pay for enormous amount of work - Had to pay for kid's rewards or extra activities out of pocket - Mandatory trainings that would only be beneficial half the time - Lack of communication between higher management and those on front lines - Rule changes were constant and not relayed to PLs (connected to Con above)

Advice to Management

There needs to be better communication between HR, senior management, and those actually working in the schools (Site Coordinators and Program Leaders). I would always have to call two or three people if I had to miss a day of work and rules would seem to change from year to year and month to month.