There are newer employer reviews for TIAA-CREF

Tiaa-Cref a fine place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Denver, CO
Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at TIAA-CREF

Pros

Solid job security, senior management is very competent. The CEO used to be vice chairman of the Federal Reserve and appears very fair and genuinely concerned about employee advancement. Lower level management is less caring, but in general reaching out to employees of all levels is helpfull. Company is dedicated to advancing employee's careers

Cons

There are a lot of old timers that don't share the same philosophy as newer employees. Job responsibilities are not fully explained, but this at times, this leads to higher levels of responsibility among employees. More responsibility however does not always result in a higher salary

Increase salary and bonuese to a level that are on parity or exceed the average of the industry

421 Other Employee Reviews for TIAA-CREF (View Most Recent)

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't. Lots of promises to get you in the door...

Current Employee - Stilll Here But Feeling Really Stupid
    Current Employee - Stilll Here But Feeling Really Stupid

I have been working at TIAA-CREF

Pros

Co Workers and Clients (Participants). Please remember that this site wasn't really set up for positive feedback on most employers, most people want to know what's screwed up. I bet that those "positive" "glowing" reviews are being written by a manager or a human resources director desperately trying to keep their job. Sometimes the truth sucks, but be glad to know before you take the job.

Cons

If you are hard-up for a job in the financial industry, this is the job for you.
    Looking for a high pressure sales job for $36,000 per year? Then this is the job for you.
    Like being threatened with your job by the management team? Then this is the job for you.
    Like having to sign a promise to generate a certain of dollars in sales but not given the opportunity to close them? Then this is the place for you.
    Like being exceptionally micro-managed? Not just one system, Siebel AND now KRONOS. Then this is the job for you.
    Like working for a company that changes the measurement of your process in the middle of the year and costs you your bonus? Then this is the job for you!

Listen to your employees. Create methods for effective communication (not just top down). Saying you want feedback and making employees feel safe in doing so are two completely different goals.

TIAA-CREF: Oblivious to its own demise

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at TIAA-CREF

Pros

The plan participants are terrific people to work with.

Cons

The review posted on January 14 by "Individual Consultant" is absolutely spot on. I couldn't have said it better myself, so read it twice. I am one of those long term employees who left because I couldn't "take it anymore". TIAA-CREF has morphed into an organization that manages itself by threatening its employees. I know, because I am a former manager in this company and I can tell you the primary motivating tool used is job loss. I have seen and heard managers cook up bogus reasons to fire people so they could either protect themselves, move a friend into the position, or because they simply did not personally like the employee. They will use "performance" as the reason, but very often there are other underlying reasons that would not hold up if contested. How else to explain employees with similar performance levels, but one gets fired while the other collects a bonus? Happens all the time. I would not accept a position in this company right now. Wait for the implosion, and hope the current crop of upper managers get swept away. Then see what its like in a few years when they figure out the damage that was done.

You need to learn what makes TIAA-CREF special and unique. You need to be truly be client-focused, not metrics focused. You need to understand what the participants expectations really are. You need to know what they want, and don't want. A question for any TIAA-CREF employee: when was the last time you heard a TIAA-CREF executive talk about the importance of providing good service? Now the focus is on handling all the complaints correctly. This company has changed in an awful way.

There are newer employer reviews for TIAA-CREF

Worked for TIAA-CREF? Contribute to the Community!