TIAA-CREF

There are newer employer reviews for TIAA-CREF

Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Charlotte, NC
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at TIAA-CREF full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been with TIAA CREF for 14 months. In the time I've been here, I've seen a Senior get promoted to a Manager and a Financial Analyst 2 get promoted to a Senior. I have also seen 4 people in my area apply for and get jobs in other, non-related, areas of the company. So I would say that career advancement, in whatever form you're thinking of, is available.

My starting salary was $62k, which is competitive in the marketplace. There is a great benefits package, including great insurance options, FSA Childcare Reimursement, Health Care Savings, 5% automatic infusion into employees 401k plan, and an additional matching of 3% more for a total of 8% annually contributed by the employer. There is an onsite wellness center with doctors and nurses, which only cost $5.00 to visit. TIAA will pay for your 1st Master's Degree as long as it supports the line of work you're in. There are many more benefits as well.

Different groups have different abilities to work from home. My group is very flexible and I work from home at least two days every week. However, my next door cube mate at work is in a different group/area, and they are approved to work from home no more than once a month, and even then the management frowns upon it. So different areas are different, and I guess the individual experience all depends on the area.

Also, it is very easy to talk to and deal with management. It is more of a friendly co-worker relationship than a hierarchy that is unreachable by the entry level workers. From the bottom to the top, everyone is very approachable and friendly. Very nice atmosphere.

Overall, I would say that I am very pleased at TIAA. I feel like I am well compensated, have a good work life balance, the opportunity for advancement, etc.

Cons

The only con I have seen so far is that when I was hired, I was told that the yearly bonus was typically 10-20% of salary. However, when my first bonus year rolled around, my bonus was around 5%. I was told that new employees who were not there an entire year were treated differently when allocating the bonus pool, and that the next year should be on track with what I was told when I interviewed.

455 Other Employee Reviews for TIAA-CREF (View Most Recent)

Talented people buried by talentless people

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Charlotte, NC

I worked at TIAA-CREF as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

compensation, project challenges, talented project contributors

Cons

An endless meeting culture. Nepotism/cronyism abounds, workstreams run in silos with departmental turf mindset & little interdepartmental synergy, poor accountability/aptitude at middle management layer showing high resistance to positive/structural change. Promotion based on spoils vs. merit. Managers more concerned about internal political balance than good process, execution, and results. Quote: "We predetermined that this initiative (x) was not going to succeed, so we made sure that our effort reflected our determination." Onboarding/Offboarding is atrocious. Because of the excellent benefits and 401k match, folks become very aggressive when their ideas are challenged.

Cull about 75% of all middle managers and staff heavy with producers in a more lateral organization where interdepartmental contributors come into projects as peers.

The current management tier makes rash and immature decisions based on personal or clique advantage rather than company/departmental health resulting in a highly political work environment. Entrenched stalwarts get away with myriad unprofessional gaffes and failures while diligent contributors are kept down or overlooked for promotion.

Managers gain strength by purging foward thinking contributors (people who see through the smoke and mirrors) and by hiring their cronies from former employers to solidify their control and ensure their longevity. Upsetting this balance with honest appraisals can bring disastrous consequences for more conscientious and optimistic subordinates. Your good ideas will be stolen and repackaged. Just as you begin to make progress, you will be derailed or retracked.

Cronyism wins over merit at TIAA-CREF.

In hindsight I would have fared better with a practiced golf-clap and fake smile instead of applying my hard-won career skills and insights.

My experience working at TIAA CREF was interesting.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at TIAA-CREF full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people you get to know and work with at the company were very fun to work with and not to mention that they were very talented in their given fields.

Cons

The cliches were a bit too much at times to deal with. Also while you had people who were willing to share information to help you achieve a goal there were others who felt threatened by people who are intelligent and willing to go the extra mile to help others.

Just because someone has been with the company for more than 10 years be very aware they may not be fully capable of doing the job they have been assigned.

There are newer employer reviews for TIAA-CREF