There are newer employer reviews for TIAA-CREF

Company at a decision point

Current Employee - Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
Current Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at TIAA-CREF full-time

Pros

Good benefits, some areas offer a great opportunity to add value. Some terrific pockets of greatness.

Cons

Some areas are production environments with little opportunity for advancement. Company is at a decision point on how to balance cost pressures and business opportunities, and optimal strategic decisions are often sacrificed for tactical financial wins. Lost or made less effective several leaders due to the walking-on-eggshell culture of selective sensitivity.

Be bold. Find new ideas. Hire from across the company, versus hiring known quantities and expecting transformational results. Don't sacrifice business results at the altar of culture survey results.

421 Other Employee Reviews for TIAA-CREF (View Most Recent)

Great company but feels like a government agency

Former Employee - Service Representative  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at TIAA-CREF full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent benefits and time off given. Truly cares of the clients. Very honest and easy going firm.

Cons

Antiquated software systems. Not a fast paced company.

Talented people buried by talentless people

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Charlotte, NC

I worked at TIAA-CREF as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

compensation, project challenges, talented project contributors

Cons

An endless meeting culture. Nepotism/cronyism abounds, workstreams run in silos with departmental turf mindset & little interdepartmental synergy, poor accountability/aptitude at middle management layer showing high resistance to positive/structural change. Promotion based on spoils vs. merit. Managers more concerned about internal political balance than good process, execution, and results. Quote: "We predetermined that this initiative (x) was not going to succeed, so we made sure that our effort reflected our determination." Onboarding/Offboarding is atrocious. Because of the excellent benefits and 401k match, folks become very aggressive when their ideas are challenged.

Cull about 75% of all middle managers and staff heavy with producers in a more lateral organization where interdepartmental contributors come into projects as peers.

The current management tier makes rash and immature decisions based on personal or clique advantage rather than company/departmental health resulting in a highly political work environment. Entrenched stalwarts get away with myriad unprofessional gaffes and failures while diligent contributors are kept down or overlooked for promotion.

Managers gain strength by purging foward thinking contributors (people who see through the smoke and mirrors) and by hiring their cronies from former employers to solidify their control and ensure their longevity. Upsetting this balance with honest appraisals can bring disastrous consequences for more conscientious and optimistic subordinates. Your good ideas will be stolen and repackaged. Just as you begin to make progress, you will be derailed or retracked.

Cronyism wins over merit at TIAA-CREF.

In hindsight I would have fared better with a practiced golf-clap and fake smile instead of applying my hard-won career skills and insights.

There are newer employer reviews for TIAA-CREF

Worked for TIAA-CREF? Contribute to the Community!