TIAA-CREF

www.tiaa-cref.org
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for TIAA-CREF

What was once a great organization has become one without integrity.

Former Employee - Wealth Management Advisor in New York, NY
Former Employee - Wealth Management Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at TIAA-CREF full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Overall retirement, vacation, and health Benefits.

Cons

Questionable sales tactics being employed to uncover and obtain client assets.

This organization once had integrity and always put the interests of the participant (client) first. The transition to the concentration on asset growth and brokerage platform introduced less-than-honest sales practices which NO LONGER put the interests of the participant first. Upper management would rather concentrate on uncovering other assets and bringing those in to be managed by TIAA-CREF regardless of the suitability or interest of the client. Andrew Carnegie would be ashamed of what you have done.

486 Other Employee Reviews for TIAA-CREF (View Most Recent)

So far so good.. Good pay, good benefits. Good opportunities for OT

I have been working at TIAA-CREF

Pros

Pay and benefits are good.. Vacation time isn't bad either. Annual bonuses can be generous if you're actually good.

Cons

Systems are horrible, very ancient.. Very slow. But it gives you a bigger bonus.

Totally dysfunctional - it is like the wild wild west anything goes.

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at TIAA-CREF full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not much to say here other than, yes it is in New York and my manager lives on the opposite coast. So I'm to a large extent shielded from bullying tactics and childish behavior.

Cons

Like most of the reviewers have mentioned.

1. Totally bad management and leadership that is only getting worse.
    2. Passive aggressive, abusive leaders.
    3. People who are ethical, honest, meritorious, hard working, humble, work with integrity do not fit in with CREF culture and they will be targeted, psychologically abused for a year or so and then will be fired. I have now seen this cycle for the past 5 years.
    4. Great analysts - smart, humble, hardworking, ethical people are let go every year. So the resultant pool gets worse by the year.
    4. Middle management is full of bullies, so people who have no ethics, integrity and are brash and dumb will be promoted. It is a self-fulfilling, reinforcing cycle.
    5. If you are a person that are a minority, or don't belong to the cliques then you are in big trouble.
    6. This is a pattern in every department. It is not isolated to one department. HR, IT all filled with mediocrity and people enduring management abuse, torture and humiliation.

Not going to waste my breath on management. But for those analysts that went through or going through manager's contempt and psychological abuse and humiliation, all I want to say is I'm praying for you and hope God will give you the strength to withstand this. Obviously you are a lot stronger to endure that.

Don't worry about those abusers, they will have to answer to a higher power.

There are newer employer reviews for TIAA-CREF