There are newer employer reviews for TIAA-CREF

Totally dysfunctional - it is like the wild wild west anything goes.

Current Employee - Director  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at TIAA-CREF full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Not much to say here other than, yes it is in New York and my manager lives on the opposite coast. So I'm to a large extent shielded from bullying tactics and childish behavior.

Cons

Like most of the reviewers have mentioned.

1. Totally bad management and leadership that is only getting worse.
2. Passive aggressive, abusive leaders.
3. People who are ethical, honest, meritorious, hard working, humble, work with integrity do not fit in with CREF culture and they will be targeted, psychologically abused for a year or so and then will be fired. I have now seen this cycle for the past 5 years.
4. Great analysts - smart, humble, hardworking, ethical people are let go every year. So the resultant pool gets worse by the year.
4. Middle management is full of bullies, so people who have no ethics, integrity and are brash and dumb will be promoted. It is a self-fulfilling, reinforcing cycle.
5. If you are a person that are a minority, or don't belong to the cliques then you are in big trouble.
6. This is a pattern in every department. It is not isolated to one department. HR, IT all filled with mediocrity and people enduring management abuse, torture and humiliation.

Not going to waste my breath on management. But for those analysts that went through or going through manager's contempt and psychological abuse and humiliation, all I want to say is I'm praying for you and hope God will give you the strength to withstand this. Obviously you are a lot stronger to endure that.

Don't worry about those abusers, they will have to answer to a higher power.

421 Other Employee Reviews for TIAA-CREF (View Most Recent)

WORST PLACE TO WORK AS A SYSTEMS ADMIN!

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at TIAA-CREF as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Awesome bathroom to get away from micro managers

Cons

Team lead and the Manager for the server operations team! The team lead is a huge micro manager. You leave to get coffee, she wants to know about it. She stalks you on Office Communicator and if you are heaven forbid "Away" for even 5 minutes she comes to your desk to find out "why you were away" and then she follows up with "why wasnt I notified". She will ask you to work overtime WITHOUT compensation. She'll continuously say "DO IT FOR THE TEAM" and if you don't you get a terrible review.

What makes matters worse is the manager! He's only the manager on paper. In reality, lets the team lead do all the managerial work. He will NEVER have time for contractors and contractors ARE NEVER INVOLVED with ANY meeting. He expects you to follow the team leads instructions ALL THE TIME and if you have a question he'll always say "Go talk to to the team lead" He's a terrible manager WHO CAN'T manage his team!

Nothing ... its hopeless

There is life after TIAA-CREF

Former Employee - Service Representative  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at TIAA-CREF full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits, flexible work schedule.

Cons

Politics
    Systems are ancient
    Procedures change constantly
    Little to no raise and average annual bonus
    Lack of opportunity for low level employees
    Poor management
    Stress
    Management talks down to employees

Treat your employees with respect.

There are newer employer reviews for TIAA-CREF

Worked for TIAA-CREF? Contribute to the Community!