TIAA-CREF

www.tiaa-cref.org
  www.tiaa-cref.org
There are newer employer reviews for TIAA-CREF

A strong vision that gets lost in the details

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at TIAA-CREF full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, strong values, customer-focused, and the training programs are incredible. I could talk all day about employees that are more than willing to become a mentor or coach, and there are hundreds of classes to help career development.

I've had 8 managers and most of them were very good at their job and are good leaders and coaches. Working with many more managers I could see the same. The company will typically hire the right people for all the jobs.

Most benefits are great like the health insurance, retirement, and paid-time off (minimum of 23 days).

Cons

While there is a strong vision at the upper level, they have a false vision of what's truly going on at all levels. There is so much bureaucracy and an over-filled hierarchy that slows progress. Deadlines are continually pushed back as there is much tape to go through. Getting excited about any new technology or process is quickly forgotten in the midst of the challenges. You can see this in everyone's eyes when you tell them about new improvements - they'll just roll their eyes. Throughout this process, the upper management is told that everything is going well when the people lower in the hierarchy see nothing different than business as usual.

Furthermore, moving around in the company is rather difficult. Positions open and you never hear anything until months later. Typically, the position will never be filled. This has happened at least 20 times (no exaggeration) with me and several other employees. Also, the pay ranges have been restricted and many people haven't seen raises for years, or minimal raises. Many people don't think they're being paid what they're worth.

I strongly encourage skip level meetings on a monthly basis. Plus, listen to the employees and hear what they have to say. Then send a follow-up e-mail or even in the next skip level of what was discussed, what has been done, and what needs to be done.

450 Other Employee Reviews for TIAA-CREF (View Most Recent)

Great Place to work and advance your career

I worked at TIAA-CREF

Pros

Love the office culture. The people are so nice and helpful.

Cons

There isn't any. I loved this company.

Great team work environment, but you are one very small piece of the pie

Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at TIAA-CREF as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good transparency in the IT department.

Cons

It's a huge company with several teams, each with a piece of the puzzle. A lot of things can get lost or overlooked on the way to the end of the project because there are so many people involved

There are newer employer reviews for TIAA-CREF