There are newer employer reviews for TIAA-CREF

Great place to work and potentially grow.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at TIAA-CREF

Pros

The benefits, compensation, co-workers, amenities in the NY office.

Cons

Although professional and career growth is a common topic it doesn't necessarily translate into administrative roles. Senior management however is engaged with its admin staff.

Advice to Management

Develop a real plan of action for the career advancement/development of the administrative staff. Perhaps an Admin U offering courses via intranet, in class, and off site.

reviews filtered by
  1. Only 1 month so far

Current Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at TIAA-CREF

Pros

I just started fulltime here after consulting for about 4 months. The company is big in some ways, small it others. The compensation is very good and I hear that the bonuses are great. The retirement benefits are outstanding; for my age bracket they are putting 12% of my salary away into a pension. Job flexibility is huge. Because of the 'small shop' mindset many people don't seem to work that hard so the bar is set low. Combine this with the big push on working from home and you can have a pretty flexible lifestyle. Many genuinely nice people, beautiful campus (Charlotte) and proving financial services to education and research.

Cons

Because it is run like a small shop in many ways there are many processes either broken or completely missing this can be frustrating. Things move slowly. Because so many people are so laid back relying on others can be a problem. I have heard that upward mobility is limited but I haven't been here long enough to see this for myself.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the staff, I know that in my case it helps me stay loyal and want to remain with the company. I see a lot of good things happening, hoping I can stick around for a good long time.

2. Stubborn 800 lb gorilla

Former Employee - Senior Individual Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Individual Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at TIAA-CREF

Pros

Pay was great, OT opportunities were abundant, benefits were pretty good. Campus was nice to walk around when you needed a break.

Cons

Management very slow in making decisions. While there were opportunities for movement to other units, moving up was almost impossible. Alot of co-workers were like zombies, would just stay in their cubes and eat at their desk - social environment was very dry.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to think outside the box and get ideas moving!