TIAA-CREF

www.tiaa-cref.org
There are newer employer reviews for TIAA-CREF

Great place to work and potentially grow.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at TIAA-CREF

Pros

The benefits, compensation, co-workers, amenities in the NY office.

Cons

Although professional and career growth is a common topic it doesn't necessarily translate into administrative roles. Senior management however is engaged with its admin staff.

Develop a real plan of action for the career advancement/development of the administrative staff. Perhaps an Admin U offering courses via intranet, in class, and off site.

467 Other Employee Reviews for TIAA-CREF (View Most Recent)

Stubborn 800 lb gorilla

Former Employee - Senior Individual Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Individual Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at TIAA-CREF

Pros

Pay was great, OT opportunities were abundant, benefits were pretty good. Campus was nice to walk around when you needed a break.

Cons

Management very slow in making decisions. While there were opportunities for movement to other units, moving up was almost impossible. Alot of co-workers were like zombies, would just stay in their cubes and eat at their desk - social environment was very dry.

Don't be afraid to think outside the box and get ideas moving!

Tough Work Environment

Current Employee - Individual Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Individual Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at TIAA-CREF

Pros

Lower level management is usually fairly flexible regarding different issues that arise; ie if you need time off you can usually get it. This varies manager, to manager however. Also there are a lot of dedicated employees within the company. They will drop what their doing and jump in if need be.

Cons

I’ve noticed that many people have stated that the pay is excellent. I don’t believe that they’re in “operations.” The majority of people that I know have gone 2-3 years without so much as a cost of living raise. The work/life balance is non-existent. You will be expected to come in for as much as 10 hours a week of overtime (minimum), for extended periods of time (we’ve seen 1-3 years of this).

Senior management has a tendency to make the same mistakes over, and over again. Now they’ve cut so many people in operations that we’ve been forced into mandatory overtime (we’ve been doing it for a year 1/2 now). They still refuse to hire more people.

Also the main issue inside the company is that no one (including your manager) is capable of performing your duties, ie they do not understand what you do all day. So do not expect them to jump in when they’re needed. Which brings me to the next issue. TIAA-CREF does not promote within, they will hire externally for most low-level positions.

To properly manage people you need to understand their duties. Take some initiative. Also pay attention to your employees. Also Roger needs to pay more attention to what's going on inside of the company.

There are newer employer reviews for TIAA-CREF