TIAA-CREF

There are newer employer reviews for TIAA-CREF

Challenging, but not micro-managed

Current Employee - Individual Consultant in Lewisville, TX
Current Employee - Individual Consultant in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at TIAA-CREF

Pros

Incredible benefits package! The not-for-profit culture also lends to working with pleasant coworkers. TIAA-CREF has a large moat around with - perfect credit ratings from the four major companies, 40% market share in 403bs (5.5 times the size of Fidelity, the next closest competitor), penetration into 85% of the colleges/universities in the United States. In addition, the way TIAA-CREF's variable annuities and mutual funds are managed is impressive, as we just about side-stepped the worst of the economic mess.

Cons

The computer systems are years old and sometimes obsolete - Internet Explorer 6 anybody? Sometimes their main system will crash while you are speaking with a participant which takes a full reboot, very unprofessional when people are trusting their retirement to you. Also, the Registration & Licensing department tries their best but is swamped with the new recruits coming in (TIAA-CREF is hiring 400+ consultants this year alone). If you do not already have your securities AND insurance licenses, expect to not be released to be on your own for 6-8 months from hire.

I know TIAA-CREF is not-for-profit. Yet, even in the recent terrible economy years TIAA-CREF made billions in net revenue. We, your employees, urge you to start putting some of that back into the infrastructure - newer, faster, more reliable systems (Internet Explorer 6 was obsolete when it launched, yet we still use it?), TIAA-CREF is the first financial firm I've ever worked at that does not provide it's front-line employees with at least dual monitors. Work efficiency skyrockets for the cost of another $150 monitor per person.

455 Other Employee Reviews for TIAA-CREF (View Most Recent)

The private sector's version of a government job.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at TIAA-CREF

Pros

TIAA offers excellent benefits although they have been scaled back in recent years.

Cons

The environment at TIAA is as unprofessional as it gets and management allows it to happen.

Huge potential -- wasted!
    Being run as if it's a public utility prevents T-C from exceling.

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at TIAA-CREF

Pros

TIAA-CREF has good pay and great benefits.

Cons

TIAA-CREF senior management is too pre-occupied with internal empire building instead of turing the company into the Financial Services giant it aspires to be. The company also focuses too much on "diversity" at the expense of qualifications.

TIAA-CREF's Executive Management and Seneor Leadership team needs to quit competing against each other and learn to work together to compete in the marketplace.

There are newer employer reviews for TIAA-CREF