There are newer employer reviews for TJ Maxx

Pretty Good 1st Job for a Student

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time

Pros

Discount on merchandise and you're the first on to see it so you can put it on hold.

Cons

Scheduling and working in the fitting room
New managers all the time

608 Other Employee Reviews for TJ Maxx (View Most Recent)

This certain store had horrible management in 2008!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cypress, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cypress, TX

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Overall company is ok, but I can't think of much else that's a pro other than it's a job.

Cons

This store had horrible managment in 2008. The managers kept flip-flopping on the return policy. Instead of following the gigantic sign hanging up, they would go on a case-by-case basis. There was a 30 day wait to be trained as cashier. My first 30 days, I was in the fitting room and lingerie while the girl who got hired at the exact same time as me worked the register.
    My raise was only 5 cents after 6 months. They hardly ever let me work mornings unless it was the weekend. They acted like laughing and talking was the worse thing ever, but we had to get through all the work somehow.
    Despite working well over 40 hours a week in the summer, I only got paid for 39.
    We were supposed to rotate jobs, but they only let the same people do certain tasks.
    Toward the end of my time there, the managers started making me work 3 different areas at a time, plus help with item recovery afterward. It was too much, so I finally had to end it.

Find ways to "spy" on management. I guarantee they're not as great as they are when you visit.

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is like a family there-they watch out for each other. Alot of fun at work too! and you get first dibs on all the cool stuff that comes in! All the associates were always great, and the managers always had your best interest at heart at my store. A great mix of people. And they give you breaks and you actually GET to take them.

Cons

You have to push credit cards all the time-and it's really annoying

There are newer employer reviews for TJ Maxx