TJ Maxx

There are newer employer reviews for TJ Maxx

Means to an End

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Having one part time job that you're not turning cartwheels about is better than having nothing.
Some really nice people work there you always get to meet your "work friends"
not all that difficult, given my particular position at the store.
Room enough to breath but not terribly huge store.
Payment every Friday.
It was a means to an end so I didn't wind up having no job over summers and holidays.

Cons

The management preach about how the associates need to do this and that by the letter but then they don't back it up themselves. They do not communicate with each other. They don't come to a mutual resolve about how they'll deal with a situation. One shouldn't have to only speak to this certain manager or that certain manager, and avoid another one, just so they can get something done and done right. Very disorganized. They like to work people to death and don't take into account that some of them have full time jobs other than there. But then complain about too much overtime. You are expect to sell those TJmaxx cards and they'll hound you to death about it, but they don't give you any reward for selling enough, aside from a mug.
Dumb policies.

Get it together, Listen to your associates and treat them right, and stop acting like you have the right to work them to death. Communicate, discuss things so you all know what's up, it shouldn't be that difficult. Stop letting certain managers keep people past their normal hours during normal closing times, for things that aren't that serious, and then turn around and complain about overtime.
A little respect goes a long way.

715 Other Employee Reviews for TJ Maxx (View Most Recent)

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Milledgeville, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Milledgeville, GA

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (more than a year)

Pros

They are pretty good about giving time off when requested in time. Give quarterly raises based on improvement, reliability, and customer service ability. The associates are very friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

The biggest problem I had with this company is the way they do the attendance. When you clock in one minute late they write that in your chart. They treat you as if you were an hour late, and there have been plenty of times that I have had to clock in late because they like to take their time opening the doors to let me in. My manager has told me that she does not know how long it may take her to get to the door, which it should never take more than two minutes but has taken them fifteen, so I should leave even earlier. I already arrive five to ten minutes early ninety percent of the time.

A Fair Employer

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management is fair, scheduling is fair, there is some room for advancement considering the unemployment rate in Portland, OR. The store is clean and neat, and coworkers are friendly.

Cons

Not enough hours (like 20 a week), a somewhat paranoid working atmosphere, FECs don't get paid enough, there isn't much money for raises. Employee theft by coworkers means that the rest of us are worried about being suspected by management. It is hard to feel secure here.

Hawking the credit cards can make some customers rude and even insulting, it is hard to make them understand that we are just doing our jobs. Some people just don't like you, and get all up in your face about it.

Positive reinforcement will make your employees loyal to you and the company.

There are newer employer reviews for TJ Maxx