There are newer employer reviews for TJ Maxx

Worst company to work for if you are a salaried worker.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at TJ Maxx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None to report for this position.

Cons

You work 50 hours a week and get paid for 40hrs. During the Christmas Holiday Season, you work 60 hours a week and only get paid for 40hrs. You work 14 straight days before end of year inventory, but only get paid for five days.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Management is not happy. Too many unqualified people work here

Current Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay check every week. I gained a lot of experience because I pushed myself. The resources are there, you have to find them. Once you gain knowledge of this industry, you can apply that knowledge to a better company. I recommend everyone who truly loves fashion and people to avoid applying at TJ Maxx, especially if you are knowledgeable, very fashion oriented, and professional with good manners.

Cons

Management hires too many people that are immature, unprofessional, and ugly (attitude and appearance). The interview process did not consist of any questions. Basically, TJ Maxx just calls everyone they were interested in, put them in a room, talked about the company, and dismissed everyone. They basically pick anyone, that's why TJ Maxx is full of employees that are incompetent (literally, they can't count rocks even if their life depended on it). There are call-outs everyday and the customer service score is very low. From my experience, I've had an employee in the back house curse at me and then "sympathetically" apologize, I've had a person above me always try to find my flaws (I put a black censor on a runway apparel and put it on the return rack. Of all the things she could of found on the return rack, she went to the one I processed and took the censor out just to say: the yellow dot needs to match the price of the clothes. I'm thinking, customers don't even see the dot, it's just a small issue. Would it have hurt for her to just fix it? She was so proud to find my flaw, she said it loud and breathing heavily with so much happiness to discover that I made a flaw. I've experienced employees that refuse to cooperate and listen to what I have to say because they are sincerely proud of coming from the streets with ABC knowledge. I have loss all respect for this company to the point where I am leaving. Before I am leaving, I enjoy doing call-outs just to drive you guys nuts. I don't care anymore because Management knows well who is mean to me and does nothing about it. I mentioned the attitude a co-worker gave me to a manager and the manager says, "she's ghetto". That's it. Also, the store manager's intelligence is comparable to a stone. I was scanning a customer's purchase. I encountered an issue and asked for assistance. She comes, looks at my screen and says, "you scan that item twice." The customer says to the store manager, "well, I bought two of those." Even the store manager just comes up to me and chooses to be an egg-head. Right when she walks in, she complains about the shoes being on the floor in the shoe department before even looking on the line-up to see who is working the shift and where every associate is. To think that I ever wanted to grow with this company, I just feel silly. Managers don't even look like they want to be here themselves. Where is the "lead by example" idea demonstrated?

Advice to Management

Look at the people you hire. Tattooed, wearing tights and tennis shoes to work, talking with broken vowels and slang. These are the people you want to represent your company?? Absolutely pathetic. Even after I leave, of course with notice, I won't even shop at TJ Maxx. I have zero respect and interest for TJ Maxx and your sister stores.

It was OK.

Current Employee - Management in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Management in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good working hours for retail job. They believe in having a life outside of your job.

Cons

Hard to get promoted. Very few openings for management unless you our willing to re-locate.
    Open Door policy is a Joke. Don't use it. The front door is open, but look out when you leave, it's going to close in your face.

Advice to Management

Keep your mouth closed and just do what they tell you to do.