Planning Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Help run a business for the company.
Manage a group of people.
Develop seasonal plans.
Work closely with the merchants.
Partner with the merchants to help create and execute the department vision.

Cons

Corporate Politics sometimes take a lot to implement new ideas.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

First corporate experience sucked the life out of my ambitions.

Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Framingham, MA

I worked at TJX Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You weren't permitted to work overtime so you'd always get out on time, and once a quarter there was a 20% off associate discount weekend. The cafeteria on-site is also amazing. I absolutely LOVED one of my buyers but the rest of them were kind of a nightmare.

Cons

Honestly, this place was terrible. When I started, I had just graduated from a top-100 ranked private liberal arts school with a B.A. in English. My intention was to transition into the marketing department at TJX. After 11 months with the company, I met with HR to discuss the possibility of transitioning into marketing, and the representative I spoke with said to my face, unabashedly, "There's really no place for you to move up here. You don't have what we're looking for, you didn't have a marketing internship." Um, excuse me? Good to know that I'm not smart enough by one person's standards to move into any other position in a 3000+ person company.

The pay was abysmal. I understand that it was an entry-level position, but the MA position starts at $15 per hour. A year later, I was making $16.25 an hour. It's a slap in the face, if you ask me. After taxes, I'd take home around $447 per week, which is absolute INSANITY. The only places I could afford to rent an apartment were unsafe, so in order to keep myself out of the slums, I had to get a part-time job that turned into a 40-hour per week job - yes, I ended up working two full-time jobs, weekdays from 8 AM to 10 PM, and then 16 hours on the weekends.

Management is very condescending and seems to think that employees are of no value unless they went to BC or Bentley. You were expected to be fashion-forward, and it's hard to be when your salary barely lets you meet your basic needs. So, to recap: I was overworked because of the poor pay, and looked like a slob because I couldn't afford to buy clothing, and as a result was told that there was 'no place for me'.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a decent wage, encourage personal growth. Let employees explore other departments. Make the buyers get their acts together so that they don't throw 500 orders at their assistants on Fridays twenty minutes before the assistants have to leave - we'd have to punch out and work off the clock because overtime wasn't allowed. Whoever says that this is a great place to work clearly hasn't explored their options.

2. Stable company, limited career growth

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Framingham, MA

I worked at TJX Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice environment, good co-workers, on site gym

Cons

limited room for career growth.

Advice to Management

reward people who work hard to the company.