There are newer employer reviews for TJX Companies

Progress over the years

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company/Building is continuously improving and raising the bar
Once you are established there is great support for professional development
Flexible time off
Promotes good balance of work and family life

Cons

Little-to-no accountability at higher levels
Not enough appreciation down stream when previously unattainable goals are reached
Talented supervisors have higher expectations/more responsibilites for little reward
Overall technical training is lacking at all levels, a sink or swim mentality

444 Other Employee Reviews for TJX Companies (View Most Recent)

Great company + Culture

Current Employee - Allocation Analyst in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Allocation Analyst in Framingham, MA

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time

Pros

Overall, great company. The home office is fantastic (despite being in Suburban Boston), the culture is great and the employees and supervisors are great to work with for the most part.

Cons

If you are working in Planning & Allocation, the job can become very mundane, especially if you came in with a glorified view of the merchandising world. It's 90% data & analysis. Compensation is so-so. If TJX was located in the south or mid west, where the cost of living is very cost friendly then I would say the compensation is great to be starting off. However, Boston and the east coast in general is very expensive and starting salaries in no way meet the cost of living for Boston.

From tolerable to HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!

Current Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at TJX Companies part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are no pros for Marshall's in Alpharetta, Georgia. Oh wait I take that back.....this new management has shown me what not to do if I ever bump my head and decide to get into management.

Cons

When I first started this part-time position, I can clearly remember the employees going the extra mile. That means working additional shifts or helping out in other departments without any hesitation. Fast forward a few months and in comes new HORRIBLE management……all of that has gone out the door. All of the hard working, good employees are leaving or have left. The new management placed a freeze on transfers because so many people were trying to leave. It amazes me that the higher ups haven’t done something about this but then again they don’t care because if they did the high level of turnover that this particular store has had would raise a red flag. To some this may come across as another disgruntled employee but it is far more than that. When you have had loyal customers to a particular store saying that they don’t frequent the store anymore because they don’t care for the new store manager is a problem.

The pay is minimum wage and the lowest in the Alpharetta, GA area for retail stores. Did I mention that it feels like you are working in a sweat shop for the minimum wage? I suggest you only take a merchandising position at Marshall’s if you REALLY need a job but let it be your last resort. If you do apply and get the job, be prepared to be a cashier, clean/check the bathrooms, PUSH credit cards on customers---HARD SELLING, and clean up the front line. Yes, all of that is during your shift and all required for minimum wage. Then again that is on a good day because they might also have you processing merchandise from the back.

The new management treats the employees like they don’t matter. If you are one of the people that asked for a transfer, then look out because they are going to have it in for you and really treat you like crap. If you are a part-time or a full-time employee that drives a higher end car, you will be on the receiving end of getting treated like crap as well. If you don’t kiss up to them, you will be treated like crap. Oh yeah also be prepared for the store manager’s minions to ask you if you like her or not. Unlike before, the store manager doesn’t work well I take that back she gives orders from her office. The old store manager DID work alongside the employees rarely was she in her office.

The old store manager used to provide treats for the employees that kind of made a difference. On holidays she used to provide us with food. Have water, coffee and other snacks for us. The new management doesn’t do anything like that at all. Did I mention that the new management wants us to work an eight hour shift with only a forty five minute lunch break and one fifteen minute break where as we use to get two fifteen minute breaks and the forty five minute lunch break? Oh yeah, if you are on your break and they call you they expect you to come off of break and help out with whatever they called you for.

I’m glad that this is part-time for me and won’t be much longer but I feel sorry for a lot of the other employees that actually need this job. I’m praying hard for them all to find something better so they don’t have to be subjected to this type of treatment any longer.

I don’t know why I’m including any advice to management when they obviously don’t care. Anyway when you have people constantly asking for transfers and quitting without being there a whole week or month you should check into it. When you have people that never used to call out or be tardy to work start calling out and being tardy you should check into it.

There are newer employer reviews for TJX Companies