There are newer employer reviews for TNS Global

Lots of work - not enough pay

Former Employee - Research Manager in London, England (UK)
Former Employee - Research Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at TNS Global full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of bright, innovative and creative people. Many research solutions and up-to-date market research technology. Encourage cross-company collaboration and learning opportunities.

Cons

Much like any big company - a lot of bureaucracy. Sometimes feels like you are pulling teeth getting something approved, negotiating. A lot of work for little pay. Not much job security and superficial management - not interested in concerns of employees although outwardly showing that they care.

More transparency. Demonstrate that you actually care for the employee instead of just the bottom line.

reviews filtered by
  1. The elephant

Former Contractor - Team Leader in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Team Leader in London, England (UK)

I worked at TNS Global as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is no pros for TNS

Cons

Lack of interest in people.

Identify and keep talent!

Good HR policies on paper, but poor execution

Former Employee - Project Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at TNS Global full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The office layout was nice, in a similar vein (albeit much smaller scale) as Google with fun, funky designs and an entertainment/play area.

Free perks: There are free beers and cakes on Fridays, fresh fruit and great coffee

The company does realise its fault and from what I hear they are taking steps to improve on their shortcomings. They honestly have great HR policies on paper but the people in the Sydney office (back when I was working there a few year ago) just did not care to execute these policies properly.
    available as well as a day off for your birthday.

Cons

Terrible execution of HR policies. It is meant to be one of the best companies to work for because they have some many great perks on paper but the actual treatment by management is appalling. If you are sick and want to take a sick day, it is frowned upon. While working there, I was so sick I had to have surgery and the recommended down time was minimum 2 weeks. After 1 week, I got a call from my manager asking me go back into work even though I had applied and was approved 2 weeks of sick leave. When I finally went back into work, I had to have an HR interview with pay roll because they were not happy that I had to take 2 weeks off (again, I have to stress that my leave was approved). To add insult to injury (no pun intended), I was one of the best employees at the time, receiving multiple awards and gifts from clients. I would always stay late and take on extra projects but this apparently was not enough to warrant me some time off to recover from surgery. They are not only stingy on sick leave, they are also very strict with their annual leave. By law in Australia, you are allowed 4 weeks of annual leave. However if you try to take anymore than 2 weeks and you are told off for it. Senior managers are allowed first preference on when they can take leave and it works down from there.

Below average pay: The pay in itself is fairly insulting as well. Market Research doesn't pay that well, but their pay is below average. I feel the company justifies this by providing free perks (like cake, beer and fruit) but honestly, they have to realise that these are extra perks and not a part of the pay package.

Poor corporate culture: Unfortunately with such below average pay (in Sydney anyway), it can't attract many quality applicants. This is a market research firm so basic understanding of stats is a must. However, I have had a co-worker ask me what a "standard deviation" means and she's been working as a project manager for 2 years. There is a very great discrepancy between the intellectual level of employees. During my time there, I have worked with 2 PhDs and a number of extremely talented managers, but the majority of people there are not very bright. In fact, I had to cut short an overseas trip because my manager didn't have the skill set to do some analysis and I had to come back early to help her do it.

Lack of onboarding: Training is provided on a "ask your co-worker" basis and most of the people there are so protective of their skills that they will not share anything information with you. There is no onboarding training whatsoever. You are meant to just know their systems on the first day. This was my first job out of university and I was not given my induction or training. When we got a new software program and everyone was sent to an external training course and when I left the company a few months later, HR asked me to pay for the training. I had to escalate the issue to the Managing director and finally they said my contribution to the company far outweighed the costs of the training so I did not have to pay for it.

The funny thing was, when I left the company, they offered to give me a 30% pay rise and a promotion (while at the same time trying to get me to pay for the external training). Overall it was a poorly managed situation and it left a very bitter taste for me.

I honestly believe TNS is a great company in other cities (I have heard from other colleagues that the UK, China and Perth (in Australia) offices are great so I only hope that things have improved in the Sydney office since I have left.

There are newer employer reviews for TNS Global