TNTP Teaching Fellows

There are newer employer reviews for TNTP Teaching Fellows

Teaching Fellow

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get to start teaching right away.

Cons

They bombard you with extra work. Being a first year teacher is stressful, but to have them load you up with additional work adds to the stress level. They advertise as free but you really have to take out a loan and pay $6k+ then after you complete the program you get Americorp money. What they do not tell you is that if you work at a title 1 funded school you can get Americorp money either way. The only reason I am jumping through so many hoops for them is because I already paid the 6k and if I don't do what they want I won't pass the program and I lose my Americorp money.

Give your fellows resources, don't just add to their workload. Be upfront about the cost, don't use the Americorp as a carrot to get what you want from the fellows. Many fellows feel this way but are afraid to say it, in fear of getting kicked out and losing out on the Americorp money.

22 Other Employee Reviews for TNTP Teaching Fellows (View Most Recent)

A rigorous preparation for teaching

Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Nashville, TN

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Having just finished the program, I can say that it did an excellent job of preparing me for the reality of teaching in an urban school. I was given excellent tools by the coaches and staff in the program to ensure that my students are achieving as much as they should, which really showed up in my students' end-of-the-year test scores. Additionally, while I was brand new at teaching last year, I was consistently praised by my administration for my abilities in the classroom; while I wish I could take credit for this, it would not have been possible without the training I was given by TNTP.

TNTP emphasizes classroom management a great deal, which enables its teachers to nip behavior issues as they arise and ensure that students are on task and on track (this seems minor, but when I compare my classroom to those of TFA teachers, the difference is noticeable). Instruction in curriculum is solid as well, and I am able to create solid and thought-provoking lesson plans based upon what I was taught by TNTP staff.

In my opinion, the greatest strength of the program is its use of coaches. I had two different coaches, one for summer training and another for the school year, and each was excellent in her own regard. I was pushed to become a good teacher, and never let off the hook, which is essential as one builds habits and mindsets in the first year of teaching. Additionally, my coaches were in my classroom regularly and provided top-notch feedback which allowed me to improve my practice quickly.

Perhaps the most important considerations for those people considering TNTP are time and money, and for this, TNTP is hard to beat. The program takes less than a year to complete and is as cheap is a teaching license comes (in Nashville, the cost is $5,000). This is a much more efficient use of time and money when compared to the traditional route of higher education; additionally, I do believe that TNTP teachers are better prepared for the reality of urban schools.

Cons

The major drawback of the program is that there are cuts made at two different points: after summer training and at the end of the school year. This unfortunately means that there are people who relocate for the program and do not pass. If you aren't self-motivated, or have difficulty handling strenuous situations, you will have difficulty making it through the program.

Please do more to let participants know that a possibility of failing the program exists; I recall being blindsided by this fact at orientation.

Think twice!

Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Washington, DC

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Quick training program for someone who doesn't need training (read: no one)
    Everyone I met was doing this for "the right reasons" but you really need to think twice about whether this is the best route into teaching. Be sure to talk to folks who have done it. Do not assume you will be the exception to the rule.

Cons

Inadequate training
    Unresponsive to needs of trainees. Does not listen.
    Dishonest about attrition rates
    "my way or the highway" attitude
    Ego
    Homogenous group of young white women with 2-3 years teaching experience
    Motivated by compliance (need to sit X hours in class) rather than by providing excellent training
    Poor job support
    Geared toward elementary education only, even if they train for secondary

Be more honest with fellows that a third or more will not make it through the training program and will end up jobless with nothing to show
    Be more responsive to requests of trainees
    Be more flexible with allowable teaching methods
    If you claim something is "evidence-based" share the evidence!
    Hire more experienced, more diverse teachers as coaches
    Get off your high horse