There are newer employer reviews for TOMS

One of the best companies that is true to their mission and change millions of lives.

Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Santa Monica, CA
Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at TOMS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a welcoming environment. They don't discriminate against sexual orientation, race, or religion. They truly value you as a human being and treat you as such instead of a number. They send you on an all expense paid trip to a third world country to give shoes to those in need. They change peoples lives and touch hearts. They bring hope to our planet.

Cons

The only thing I would say is that I wish they had another location close by in Orwnge county that I could work for.

Periodically, reach out to every individual, not just the leads, and seek opportunities of growth or advice.

48 Other Employee Reviews for TOMS (View Most Recent)

Sad. Suspect the positive reviews here are HR fakes.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at TOMS

Pros

Once upon a time the pros were a warm environment, creative and vested leadership and a collaborative working style - these pros do not exist any more. The company is coasting on the fumes of the dead culture.

Cons

Many of the last three years C levels and SVPs were a poor culture fit, they came onboard and brought the worst of their past environments with them. Or worse yet they brought along employees from past companies and give them areas of business where they had zero professional experience. Nepotism at it's best. Petty infighting began and the workplace steadily became hostile, aggressive, competitive, disengenous and simply mean spirited. The leaders who cared were disrespected and one by one and have all have left or were forced out. Now it's a husk for the auction block.

Priorities have skewed so dark that redemption isn't possible. It's not possible because of the leaders that you selected and because of the leaders you are. It's now a culture of lies and commerce that has been blessed from the top. Shame.

A great company experiencing some growing pains.

I have been working at TOMS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

TOMS is a company that is young and entrepreneurial. The people here are collaborative and genuinely care about each other and the company. The environment is relaxed and playful - you can typically find dogs to play with or a game of ping pong going on. Company events ("TOMS Holidays") are held as sacred and are held each year, without fail. TOMS ensures that we have a lot of opportunities to connect and build relationships as a company.

I'm going to disagree with a lot of the other posts I've read on this site. I see that a great deal of posts complain about internal growth/career opportunities. From what I see at TOMS, employees feel that after having been with the company for a few years (often it was their first job out of college) that they are entitled to a promotion, even if they sincerely lack the skills/abilities for that next-level role. They think it's a given because they are passionate about the brand. Often managers are in the position to have to look externally because the skill set just doesn't exist in-house. We have a lot of passionate people who think they've got the skill set, but the reality is, they just don't.

Advice to all current TOMS employees: have an opinion about your career. Know what you want to do and go after it. Stop waiting for your manager (or HR) to hand it to you. The opportunities are there -- you just have to go and grab them.

Cons

To my point above, I do think that managers could do a better job explaining (candidly) to employees that they need to acquire certain skill sets in order to make the move upward or laterally, and then help them create a plan to get there. Managers tend to (in every company I've been at, not just TOMS) defer to HR for "employee development." This is not a solution.

TOMS has a Sr. Leadership team that is lacking a strong vision from the very top of the house. That is why there's so much confusion amongst them. This is a team that needs one seasoned, present Executive leader to guide and shepherd this team.

Continue to work on authentic transparency and help this company understand where it's at -- a young, growing company trying to find stability.

There are newer employer reviews for TOMS