There are newer employer reviews for TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

This job is EXTREMELY Overrated

Current Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Newark, NJ
Current Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Newark, NJ

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you have no life and are willing to work constantly then I would say the pay is good. I've met some wonderful people.

Cons

Management is completely clueless. The SOP (rule book) is CONSTANTLY changing and you are expected to know and keep up with all changes even though you aren't given much, if any, time to train. You are micro-managed and treated as a number. You slave away for 6hrs as a part timer only to receive a 15 min break. Schedule changes every 6 months and the chances of working within 9-5 are slim to none.

Be more realistic when enforcing rules because everything isn't black and white.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great source outside of the military...

Former Employee - Transportation Security Screener in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Transportation Security Screener in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great within the organization. I have never seen such dedicated personnel. They are there to protect the citizens' of our country while they travel. I personally call them, defenders. I have been exposed to the military and I understand what it means for discipline, focus and structure and the hierarchy that goes with it.

Cons

The workplace area can be claustrophobic where there is high concentrations of passengers in a central location, the conditions make for a very disturbing and stressful day for everyone. Insufficient time and training for study protocol of standard operation procedures. Must stop intimidation tactics and provide easy-going, step-by-step, environmental training. Leadership must provide support when times are needed for study and to understanding processes and ask questions without going through osmosis and diffusion.

Management should remain consistent when executing new procedures and policies. Present enough time-sharing and study-renewal for employee personnel. Communication is key to retaining employees and lowering recidivism, also consider incentives.

The TSA is very inflexible as an employer, management is poor, and policies are geared toward serving freaquent fliers.

Current Employee - Master Transportation Security Officer in Linthicum, MD
    Current Employee - Master Transportation Security Officer in Linthicum, MD

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best reason to work for the TSA is access to federal government benefits. Check OPM.gov to see whats available. Another pro is chance to see things from behind the scenes in an airport.

Cons

At many airports there is poor management, employee communication is strained, and policies and procedures are unclear. The perception is that we are understaffed during peak periods, giving the impression that we are not staying consistent with airport growth.

Standardize processes across the entire agency. Hire full-time Officers instead of starting people off in Part-time positions. Ease the process for Officers to lateral between positions.