TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

www.tsa.gov
  www.tsa.gov
There are newer employer reviews for TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

TSO - highly regimented, demoralizing, and mind-numbing job. I was embarrassed of my job.

Former Employee - Tso in Tampa, FL
Former Employee - Tso in Tampa, FL

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Federal Government Job
Pays pretty good for what it is
Good benefits and leave
Room for advancement to management or admin jobs with the right skills and attitude

Cons

Passengers berate you on a daily basis - the worst things imaginable are said to you every single day, no matter how polite you are to them. I have even had people mock me for being nice just because they were in a bad mood.
Media and passengers treat you as a joke. Passengers tell you to your face that "your job is a joke, you should be ashamed of yourself". Media often twists things to make us look bad. Be prepared to feel ashamed and embarrassed of the work you do.
I dreaded going to work every day.
Highly regimented - you literally have to tell supervisors when you have to use the bathroom, and you cannot be even 30 seconds late to work or late from coming back from break. You have to do every procedure perfectly, even when the procedures change weekly and the supervisor forgets to tell you that the procedure has changed.
You can be disciplined severely if you do a procedure incorrectly (hasn't happened to me, but I saw others lose their job on a regular basis).
You are tested constantly. Every day is an opportunity to be covertly tested and potentially lose your job.
We cannot lean or sit for most of the day, and are not allowed to have our hands in our pockets or talk about non-work-related topics in front of passengers (which is pretty much all day). Apparently we are expected to be robots at all times.
No room to get some alone time. You are constantly working with others every second of the day.
Physically demanding job - if you have or develop any long-term disability (that cannot be tied to an owcp claim) and cannot perform all functions of the job you will receive a non-disciplinary removal.
You are basically treated like you need to act like a perfect robot or a mentally handicapped child by management and the public. No room for errors and no room for independent thought or action. I do not recommend this job for creative types.
No holidays and odd schedule - it is hard to get weekends off unless you have been here for years. Seniority rules everything here.
Recent introduction of unions has made things even more regimented and awful.
If you come on board now it is next to impossible to get a full-time job - you will be working a 20 hour week for 4 years before you can be made full-time.

Don't throw your subordinates under the bus when something goes wrong - watch the checkpoint a little more carefully instead of sitting on your behind in the office checking your email.
Other than that, there isn't much to be done - the culture is a paradoxical mixture of hyper-neurotic micromanagement and laziness.

222 Other Employee Reviews for TSA (Transportation Security Administration) (View Most Recent)

Good job, for the pay.

Current Employee - Lead Transportation Security Officer in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Lead Transportation Security Officer in Jackson, MS

I have been working at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Get to work with a wide array of people, and you get a lot of customer service.

Cons

There are people at the organization that make TSA harder than it should be. Also, angry passengers that are running late sometimes blame you because of the "inconvenience" of aviation security

Its a good job if you are not too bright or dont have a future.

Former Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, they pay. new advancement scale, too bad it depends on idiots to pass.

Cons

They hire the laziest, childish people they can find.

fire everyone and start from scratch. Also fire yourselves.