TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

www.tsa.gov
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

Its a good job if you are not too bright or dont have a future.

Former Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Transportation Security Officer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, they pay. new advancement scale, too bad it depends on idiots to pass.

Cons

They hire the laziest, childish people they can find.

fire everyone and start from scratch. Also fire yourselves.

245 Other Employee Reviews for TSA (Transportation Security Administration) (View Most Recent)

Good Pay, Toxic Workplace

Former Employee - Tso in Fairbanks, AK
    Former Employee - Tso in Fairbanks, AK

I worked at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good starting pay. Excellent medical, dental & vision benefits.

Cons

Administration, Managers and Supervisors. With a few exceptions most are at best inept, and at worst corrupt. Favoritism, cronyism, intimidation and micromanagement are their tactics. The employee assessment process is subjective and arbitrary. There is no consideration for an employee's work/life balance and morale is nonexistent. Due to the lack of communication from management, airport stakeholders (airline employees, vendors & even the airport police) are resentful of our presence. There is a predominant anti-government sentiment in Alaska, so passengers here aren't just annoyed or rude, they are verbally abusive, flagrantly hostile and it's just a matter of time before one of them crosses the line with devastating results. High employee attrition rates are having a negative impact at the checkpoint for passengers and officers because the new hires lack maturity and have very little job experience, security or otherwise. The recently elected union, American Federation of Government Employees, is ineffective. The collective bargaining contract AFGE negotiated does nothing to stop the TSA from continuing to violate fair labor practices and due process in the name of national security.

At the administrative level, quit hiring career bureaucrats who hide in their offices and only show up at the checkpoint or employee break room to hand out federal service pins. Hire administrators who sincerely want to engage with the workforce and the stakeholders to improve operations and morale. On a national level, make an effort to improve the TSA's image with the general public and their elected representatives. There are ways to have a dialogue with taxpayers and lawmakers without giving away sensitive security information or compromising operations. Supervisors and Managers need to pass a psychological and cognitive abilities evaluation. There are too many STSO's and TSM's who either abuse their authority, lack leadership skills, or are unable to fulfill the basic clerical requirements of their position. For the checkpoint, make an effort to hire employees with a security mindset, effective public communication skills, and a professional work ethic. They don't all have to be former police or military, however there are a majority of officers at the checkpoint who are better qualified to be flipping burgers, washing cars, making floral arrangements or assisting staff at a day spa. There is nothing inferior about the type of employee who performs those tasks, but security is just not part of their skillset.

TSO - highly regimented, demoralizing, and mind-numbing job. I was embarrassed of my job.

Former Employee - Tso in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Tso in Tampa, FL

Pros

Federal Government Job
    Pays pretty good for what it is
    Good benefits and leave
    Room for advancement to management or admin jobs with the right skills and attitude

Cons

Passengers berate you on a daily basis - the worst things imaginable are said to you every single day, no matter how polite you are to them. I have even had people mock me for being nice just because they were in a bad mood.
    Media and passengers treat you as a joke. Passengers tell you to your face that "your job is a joke, you should be ashamed of yourself". Media often twists things to make us look bad. Be prepared to feel ashamed and embarrassed of the work you do.
    I dreaded going to work every day.
    Highly regimented - you literally have to tell supervisors when you have to use the bathroom, and you cannot be even 30 seconds late to work or late from coming back from break. You have to do every procedure perfectly, even when the procedures change weekly and the supervisor forgets to tell you that the procedure has changed.
    You can be disciplined severely if you do a procedure incorrectly (hasn't happened to me, but I saw others lose their job on a regular basis).
    You are tested constantly. Every day is an opportunity to be covertly tested and potentially lose your job.
    We cannot lean or sit for most of the day, and are not allowed to have our hands in our pockets or talk about non-work-related topics in front of passengers (which is pretty much all day). Apparently we are expected to be robots at all times.
    No room to get some alone time. You are constantly working with others every second of the day.
    Physically demanding job - if you have or develop any long-term disability (that cannot be tied to an owcp claim) and cannot perform all functions of the job you will receive a non-disciplinary removal.
    You are basically treated like you need to act like a perfect robot or a mentally handicapped child by management and the public. No room for errors and no room for independent thought or action. I do not recommend this job for creative types.
    No holidays and odd schedule - it is hard to get weekends off unless you have been here for years. Seniority rules everything here.
    Recent introduction of unions has made things even more regimented and awful.
    If you come on board now it is next to impossible to get a full-time job - you will be working a 20 hour week for 4 years before you can be made full-time.

Don't throw your subordinates under the bus when something goes wrong - watch the checkpoint a little more carefully instead of sitting on your behind in the office checking your email.
    Other than that, there isn't much to be done - the culture is a paradoxical mixture of hyper-neurotic micromanagement and laziness.