TSG Solutions
www.tsgsinc.com Carlsbad, CA 50 to 149 Employees

Good job for those not seeking too much career-wise

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at TSG Solutions full-time

ProsTravel opportunity for me was a big PRO since I was single/unmarried at the time. The memories and experiences out in the field (both on the job and off the the job) are priceless if that's your sort of thing. Glaciers in Alaska, tropical Hawaii, exotic European destinations, you name it.

The work is super easy. To be honest, I'm surprised they pay even $16-$18 because the work is so easy a caveman can do it.

The culture is very casual, as are most employees' personalities, even though some times they try to pretend like they're bigger than they are. People have a sense of humor, and usually it's easy to get along with people although the maturity level in general is relatively low. Not necessarily a bad thing - but be warned if you're an experienced professional or if you desire to be one day.

If you're sharp, the work there is so easy you can do more office work than the average person there in less than six hours, then spend the rest of your time learning something else that's actually good for your career on your own.

In the field, if you're sharp, you can do your work perhaps 50% faster than everyone else, and then relax, take a break, and then report how much higher your numbers are than everyone else when it's time to regroup.

Also, and this can be a pro or con depending how you look at it, most people there are just non-exempt hourly employees and are RESTRICTED to 8 hour days. It's practically a blue-collar type of structure. But, it does force you to stop working. :)

ConsThe job itself doesn't really provide you with any real technical skill. Many employees there think they have some technical skill because they get to touch a little HTML, CSS, XML, JavaScript, TSQL and if they're aggressive perhaps some C#. They'll boast that because they've "been exposed" to those types of things, they are qualified in those type of technologies.

This is simply because, technologically speaking, most people there are in this bubble and don't realize that the most advanced thing they do there is really, really rudimentary when viewed against the technology industry as a whole. Perhaps the only person who has real technical knowledge there is the Chief Software Architect who can design, write, and maintain the entire product line all on his own if he wanted to. I mean this both as a testament to the knowledge and skill of the CSA, but also a testament to the relative simplistic nature of their product line.

Their product is elegant in concept, but is mostly a bunch of hype. Most of the workforce, therefore, are practically glorified data entry clerks. They may take offense to this comment. But, again, this is because they think they're more prestigious than that due to the bubble they're in.

This job is only good for you if you're ok making an average $35k-$45k a year, not gaining any real tangible skill, and are happy simply getting SOME money and doing something that's intellectually simple.

If you are career minded, want to do something challenging, and continue to raise your game, this place should be a temporary stop - but consider stopping here for a little while, at least.

Many people that I know who left voluntarily (yes, they have had numerous layoffs) left because they realized all of the above and make way more money and do far more amazing work than they could ever have imagined.

For example, I left this company less than 5 years ago and now make more than three times what I made at that company, and my work and benefits is far more rewarding.

The only thing I miss is the travel. :)

Advice to Senior ManagementNot a ton of advice to management. I actually DON'T think you are a bunch bullsh**ers. Your business model is solid, and it's not like you trick employees into working there. You've created "take it or leave it" type of jobs for most employees, and I actually respect that. I also thank you for how hard you've worked to get contracts and keep people employed.

Perhaps I'd suggest that the officers of the company should take more time to interface with the grunts more often. Goes a long way IMHO.

Enjoyable Place to Work

Tech (Current Employee)
Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at TSG Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros: Although I'm a newer employee (about 1 year with TSG), I've been extremely pleased with my employment. I've worked at several other companies and… Cons: Some employees tend to stick around too long and don't respect the company or its staff. I wish management would get rid of them… Advice to Senior Management: Get rid of employees who don't want to be here… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Expendable Workforce

Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at TSG Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros: The service they provide (Digital map and panoramic building tours for first responders) is unique and… Cons: This is not a company that seems interested in keeping its employees in the long run (The only exception being a small "Inner Circle.") … Advice to Senior Management: Respect your employees. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on TSG Solutions.

Worked for TSG Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TSG Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TSG Solutions CEO John Iffland. All reviews posted anonymously by TSG Solutions employees.