A great learning opportunity with a learing organization

Current Employee - Contractor -- Analyst  in  Chattanooga, TN
Current Employee - Contractor -- Analyst in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at TVA as an intern for less than a year

Pros

TVA is the anchor that keeps the valley united. Community outreach and continuous improvement drive the corporate culture. Management works with employees to keep them employeed by implementing rotational assignments and other temporary assignments.

Cons

TVA is playing catch-up when it come to corporate technology and structure. The effects of the corporate reorganization in 2006 are still being felt while everyone is trying to find their place.

Other Reviews for TVA

Very unprofessional immature workforce, and a work culture that is very biased in hiring and promoting.

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at TVA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1. Great Benefits due to being a federal agency, but ran like a private company.
    2. Great work/life balance.
    3. There are a few (20% of the workforce) really great people to work with, but unfortunately, there are about 80% of the workforce that are not.

Cons

1. Chattanooga-Tennessee is a pretty area, but the pollen is extremely horrible. The pine pollen will completely cover your car with a very thick yellow colored powder every spring, and allergies are very common and unpleasant.
    2. TVA was very discrimatory towards me by making excusses to deny any advancement opprotunities, denied my request for NERC exam fee coverage, and denied my request for company sponsored Masters of Engineering degree. My manager basically stated NERC certification was not required for my position, but the same manager approved company sponsorship to cover the exam fees (around $400s) of peers who were in positions that also did not require the NERC Certification. My manager stated I did not need a Masters of Engineering degree to work at TVA, and denied my request for company sponsorship to cover the tuition and expenses for the masters of engineering degree, but the same manager had approved several other peers the company sponsorship for Masters of Engineering degree.
    3. Chattanooga-Tennessee and TVA does not have a diverse popultion outside of white or black. The general population of Chattanooga and TVA are not accepting of diversity outside of white or black.
    4. My management denied me advancement opprotunities into management by stating I did not have any leadership/supervisory experience at TVA even though my resume clearly states I have ten plus years experience as sergeant/supervisory role in the US Army, and I also hold a MBA degree. My management actually moved me into an extremely technical position with goals and expectations that were impossible to achieve. I was given poor evaluations each year because I could not achieve the impossible goals with no resources and no additional pay. I was a senior engineer that was tasked with consultant/principal engineer level work with no resources and impossible expectations and goals. The project I was forced to work on by myself with no resources was a project that the industry as a whole was working on and no one to date in the Eastern Interconnect has arrived to a solution.
    5. The managers I had were more interested in politics and making sure they looked good even if they have to lie about things to cover themselves and put the blame on someone else.
    6. 80% of the workforce are immature unprofessional people who use verbal abuse (yelling and degrading comments) and use rude offensive course language and make indirect insulting comments and mask them as it joke. Indirect means they would talk to someone else near your desk, but they would be directing the focus towards you. I found in general, people were always on the attack, and one would always needed to "be on your feet" to defend your position in a professional manner to not degrade yourself to the offender's level. This made for a very unpleasant and distasteful work experience.

Fully understand the TVA values and have a track record of practicing those values prior to becoming a manager.

Was a Great Place to Work

I have been working at TVA

Pros

401k is wide open and rocks. Great location and nice physical buildings.

Cons

Takes too long to move through the ranks so talent moves on. Much of the experienced personnel has moved on. Management favor of the day with cost reduction being the single goal.

Go back to recruiting for the best talent, not the cheapest.

There are newer employer reviews for TVA.

Worked for TVA? Contribute to the Community!