Best IT Department of my Career

Current Employee - IT Management in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - IT Management in Dallas, TX

I have been working at TXI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company places importance on ethics. Personal life is on par with professional life in terms of importance. Low turnover. Multitude of long term employees. Progressive within the industry. Green initiative. Community involvement. Talent pool within IT is very impressive. Senior Management open door policy. VP is knowledgeable and supportive of individual contributors and managers without micromanaging.

Cons

Company is mid-sized with flat organizational structure. Employee happiness results in low turnover so promotion opportunity is rare. This, clearly, is only a con with regard to individuals who are looking for rapid advancement in their careers. Central to Dallas so suburban commute is difficult.

Advice to Management

Continue efforts at improved communication, employee development, and promoting within. Very satisfied with all efforts of management.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

You can't ever plan anything in your personal time.

Former Employee - Information Services in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Information Services in Dallas, TX

I worked at TXI

Pros

Opportunity to learn new technologies

Cons

Lots of weekends with no comp time and very difficult to get pto. You need to call in sick in order to get time off. Unrealistic expectations in regards to work load with no raises and no bonuses. Weekend work in usually thrown on you at the last minute (like the Wednesday or Thursday before), management acts like it is a bad thing if you don't like to do it that way. My manager threw me under the bus when I was out at a doctor's appointment to my director after all of the weekend time I've put in and time taken away from my family. They have a very high stress atmosphere, very negative with nothing in return. So pretty much I have no personal time and no money. I was on call 24x7 for 7 months straight. The management doesn't like to hire people because they want bigger bonuses.

Upper management and management in general do not care for their employees or their family life. They only care for their kids and wives and getting those big bonuses. They just need a warm body and number to assign to you.

Advice to Management

YOU NEED TO CARE FOR YOUR EMPLOYEES. Quit being greedy and address the human side of things.

2. Satisfactory

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at TXI

Pros

It is nice to see that the product you provide has helped build a city. The fruits of your labor will be around for generations. The people are friendly.

Cons

This is a commodity driven sector. It is nice to have a company that prides itself on providing the best product but the bottom line is that the product must be at an affordable price.

Advice to Management

Keep providing the quality product that you are providing. Continue to look for ways in which the product can be delivered at an affordable price to the end user.