Tabb Brockenbrough & Ragland

www.tbrinsurance.com
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Tabb Brockenbrough & Ragland

T B & R threw us away like we were yesterday's shredded recycled paper!

Former Employee - Service Manager- Commercial Department in Richmond, VA
Former Employee - Service Manager- Commercial Department in Richmond, VA

I worked at Tabb Brockenbrough & Ragland

Pros

For many years, TB&R had a reputation of strength, reliability and stability. For this reason, I wanted to work there and be part of the agency. Benefits offered were flex-time work schedules, summer hours (one Friday afternoon off each month), reasonably priced health insurance and regular cost of living raises. We had company picnics and cookouts - morale was excellent.

Cons

In 2008, after the owners moved the business to a bigger, newer building with much higher rent, everything changed! In 2009, we all took a pay cut, lost our flex-time and summer hours. There were no raises to off-set the rising cost of our health insurance. The new CFO (at the owner's direction, I'm sure) even cut out the cookouts.
Now, we've been sold to new owners from out of Ohio, and over 10% of the workforce (most of us over 55 yrs old - some over 60 with more than 30 yrs with the company) have been laid off or let go.

The owners became rich as of July 25, but many of us are now unemployed.

Advice to Management

How many of the remaining staff do you think will really want to stick around and wait for the Ohio owners to get rid of them too? Advice to new owners: Be nice to existing producers and staff - they have a lot of loyal clients and friends in RIC.

reviews filtered by

The honeymoon period was nice, but after salary cuts and layoffs, I knew I had make a mistake!

Former Employee - Account Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Tabb Brockenbrough & Ragland

Pros

The monthly "payday celebrations" were always a hoot. While we needed to celebrate our paychecks in the down economy, the celebration food got more unhealthy each month. How many leftover tins of Christmas cookies were we going to eat?? The employees tried to be positive and upbeat. We did our best to support one another - that was the "Pro" at TB&R.

Cons

The agency is one of the last independent agencies in VA not owned by a big company or a bank, but the 3 partners keep the company bonus $$ for themselves. They do not share any with the hard- working producers or staff. Long-term dept managers have no regard for personal problems of employees (such as health issues or family illness).

Advice to Management

Owners barely know the name of the staff and rarely ever spoke to me while I was employed there. I left the insurance business altogether! If the owners don't want to lose the good workers as soon as the insurance world improves, they need to start showing them they care instead of offering FMLA as the only option when they need personal time off.

TB&R, LLC? Maybe in business for over 100 years is too long!

Former Employee - Acct Executive in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Acct Executive in Richmond, VA

I worked at Tabb Brockenbrough & Ragland

Pros

The depts stick together! The regular "staff" realizes they are all in it together and until the economy improves, they have to be content with what they have. Even though pay increases don't keep pace with the cost of living, it's better than no raise at all!

Cons

Rigid work environment with male execs who still want to have their dictation transcribed by "secretaries"; paper files still maintained in lieu of moving into the current century with e-filing like the rest of the insurance world. It is so obvious the owners protect the bond department over and above everyone else!

Advice to Management

Upgrade your technology, get rid of the paper! Hire new people who will help to make the business a more diverse workforce. There are 50+ employees, but average age is 45+. The agency needs some young blood.