There are newer employer reviews for Take Care Health

Fantastic leadership, great salary and the best physician job ever!

Former Employee - Physician
Former Employee - Physician

I worked at Take Care Health part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a physician, I can focus exclusively on patient care and not worry with any details of actually running a practice. There is tremendous internal support for the physicians with a wonderful work environment filled with grateful, respectful patients who are thrilled to have a workplace physician onsite.

Cons

If the client decides to close their onsite health clinic or go with another clinic management company, then the job disappears through no fault of your own as the physician. So there's not the element of geographic stability that one can get with a typical private practice in a community setting.

Keep spreading to more geographic markets and keep up the good work!

70 Other Employee Reviews for Take Care Health (View Most Recent)

HUGE problems brewing....... NP's beware!

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Conshohocken, PA
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at Take Care Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

used to feel like the NP's had support and the retail health model was attractive because it was structured and we only treated acute illness (which made sense because its inside drugstore)

Cons

Out of the clear blue sky, the company is now treating chronic conditions= HUGE PROBLEMS and threats to our NP license.

There is only one NP that works in the clinic by themselves for 12 hour shifts. Rarely, a clinic will have a part time medical assistant, but most clinics never do. How is one NP supposed to treat the ENDLESS line of walk in patients waiting to be see for acute illnesses, school physicals or vaccines AND treat patients' chronic diabetes, COPD, emphysema, severe blood pressure problems, thyroid disease all in the back of a Walgreens store? We as NP's do not feel equipped (with staff, reliable EMR, or structured clinical guidelines for these conditions or EXPERIENCE in treating these conditions).

Yes, many of us have NEVER treated these conditions before as our only experience is in the retail clinic (quick, small acute conditions only such as colds, flus, UTI's, and strep throat). Many of us are new grads (with NO previous experience), and those of us who have experience in previous jobs in physicians offices treating more serious long term conditions are out of practice and have not treated them in several YEARS!

Our company announced that we are now going to start treating these chronic conditions OVERNIGHT, with ZERO training involved. We were given a reference to a random website that has medical journals regarding these conditions but no actual Take Care clinic guidelines (no plan, no quick references, NOTHING) . Also, we do not have list of exactly what conditions these are. Just a vague idea.

So what are we supposed to do if we've never treated these conditions before? How do we know when to refer out and when to treat in store? We work by ourselves and can call a physician over the phone (the MD we have never seen in person, and he/she does not practice at all in the stores) and ask them a few of the questions but that is not a substitute for actual experience and honed clinical judgement.

It is just not SAFE nor realistic to say we will be treating chronic conditions, ordering blood work and xrays etc at least without the proper training and support and staff. We dont have a lab, an assistant to draw blood, any machines) Who is supposed to follow up on that blood work and read the xrays etc? Especially if we do not really know how to read labs?! This should all really be done in a primary care setting where there is a staff helping us- other NP's , other MD's to help us, our nurses to take vitals, an entire front office staff etc. The worst part is that patients who are VERY sick with these conditions are being mislead that it is safe to be treated in a store while running their errands. The line has to be drawm somewhere in the name of safety.

Our computer system barely works properly and is very unreliable (EMR), we do all the front office work ourselves (checking in patients, verifying insurances, follow up calls, cleaning the office, mopping, sweeping, trash,housekeeping etc) all by ourselves and play referee with the patients waiting in line who dont want to wait to be seen at the clinic (even if they are walk ins without an appointment) Our compensation remains the exact same. Why are we not getting paid to be the NP, office manager, and janitor?

If we start to treat chronic conditions with no valid support whatsoever, we are being set up for failure from the beginning and we are definitely at risk for losing our licenses. Especially if we have little to no recent experience treating these conditions comfortably. It is a HUGE problem that we are now facing and us NP's do not know what we are going to do .....Its just not realistic and we feel slapped in the face because we were hired to work in an actue illness setting and suddenly the entire job scope changes overnight with no support, or game plan.

We fear for patient safety, our jobs, and our licenses...... and its disappointing because we want to be successful.

You are approaching the expansion of services all wrong. You need to provide REAL guidance and a structured PLAN for these conditions and need to take the time to make sure each NP feels comfortable. Anything less is unfair to the staff and to the patients who depend on us.

Great or Not so great depending on what you are looking for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnemucca, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnemucca, NV

I worked at Take Care Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary is fair, Benefits are good, PTO accumulation is good, policies in place to encourage evidence based medicine

Cons

Poor managers make poor teams. Office gossip is frequently the order of the day and is not curbed. When the managers participate in ofice gossip, it's a challenge to put a stop to it. The clinic creates an illusive atmosphere of friendship and commaderie that is only at face level as employees have learned to say the right things to the right people. There is quite a bit of kissing the bosses behind, staff members are often fake.
    Lots of policies which are ok, but the managers often forget the reason for the policies is to improve patient care and satisfaction.

Discourage gossip, this should start at the top. Create an environment where your staff is willing to come to work because they enjoy it, the majority of staff are only there because they need the salary. It takes more than meetings and activities to create a real team enviroment. People who are friends hang out, hanging out does not necessarily mean people are friends.

There are newer employer reviews for Take Care Health