There are newer employer reviews for TakeLessons

Great place for young professionals looking to learn & grow.

Current Employee - Support Representative in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Support Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The open door policy and no "jerks" rule create an atmosphere of positive reinforcement and creativity all around. A start-up environment is not for the faint of heart, and there are plenty of opportunities to give up when things get hard--but I think the best part of working at TakeLessons is having the creative freedom step up, lead, and present solutions as a team, allowing everyone to push through and succeed together. At TakeLessons, employees are encouraged to ask the big, tough, "why" questions especially when it comes to customer service, our policies, and our business. Everyone is on the same playing field and has the same opportunity to make a big impact if they are willing to work for it. Most of all--TakeLessons is a company made of unique, gifted, funny, inspiring people and at the end of the day, no matter what is thrown at you, you know you still had a good time working & growing with your friends.

Cons

Agreeing to work in a start-up environment means you will work harder with fewer monetary benefits; there are times when things feel unstable, constantly changing, and uncontrolled. That being said, working at TakeLessons provides young professionals (particularly) with the opportunity to wear many hats, get lots of experience doing many different kinds of work, and eventually (hopefully) establish a career path at TL or elsewhere. Sometimes working at TakeLessons feels like a rollercoaster, but we all succeed and fail together--the positive company culture keeps most people grounded and feeling supported at every stage.

Advice to Management

Create a structured communication channel to keep everyone in the company up to speed on the direction of our company (big goals, partnerships, etc.). Meetings don't count. Make it visual, clear, centrally located/constant, and something everyone can engage with and see/feel results of.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great Company Culture, Great Talent

Current Employee - Student Counselor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Student Counselor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Supportive Positive Environment Great Company Culture Great Views

Cons

Can't think of anything bad

Advice to Management

Keep up the fantastic work!!

Takelessons - A glorified call center

Former Employee - Customer Service in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in San Diego, CA

I worked at TakeLessons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Takelessons is a call center in a great location. Also, they were occasionally flexible with regards to scheduling shifts. Takelessons will also let you take on huge amounts of additional responsibility, pay is a different story, but none the less… A large amount of the people that work at takelessons are nice and it seemed most had college degrees, which was surprising to me for a call center. At the end of the day, takelessons is a company that facilitates music lessons which is cool.

Cons

Takelessons is a music related call center that doesn't even have any music playing in the office! You have to pay for parking and you can barely even fit in your cubicle. It's a glorified call center lacking any legitimate career opportunities, not to mention any monetary upward mobility. Takelessons is open 7 days a week so you have to work weekends and rarely, if ever get a weekend, much less 2 days in a row off. The cult-like "fun culture" takelessons worked so hard to create is seemingly being replaced with a much more corporate one. My overall experience at takelessons felt more like a high school, rumor mill, roller coaster than a job, and I was considered one of the "cool kids" if not the "coolest". Oh, and I'm not totally sure but I'm pretty sure you have to be good looking to even be considered.

Advice to Management

Get more feedback from the call center side; the people in the trenches. Often times a great business idea on paper does not mean it's anything more than just a great idea. Don't try to grow too fast, get overhead down, and really look at overall morale.