Takelessons - A glorified call center

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Customer Service in San Diego, CA

I worked at TakeLessons full-time for less than a year

Pros

Takelessons is a call center in a great location. Also, they were occasionally flexible with regards to scheduling shifts. Takelessons will also let you take on huge amounts of additional responsibility, pay is a different story, but none the less… A large amount of the people that work at takelessons are nice and it seemed most had college degrees, which was surprising to me for a call center. At the end of the day, takelessons is a company that facilitates music lessons which is cool.

Cons

Takelessons is a music related call center that doesn't even have any music playing in the office! You have to pay for parking and you can barely even fit in your cubicle. It's a glorified call center lacking any legitimate career opportunities, not to mention any monetary upward mobility. Takelessons is open 7 days a week so you have to work weekends and rarely, if ever get a weekend, much less 2 days in a row off.

The cult-like "fun culture" takelessons worked so hard to create is seemingly being replaced with a much more corporate one. My overall experience at takelessons felt more like a high school, rumor mill, roller coaster than a job, and I was considered one of the "cool kids" if not the "coolest". Oh, and I'm not totally sure but I'm pretty sure you have to be good looking to even be considered.

Get more feedback from the call center side; the people in the trenches. Often times a great business idea on paper does not mean it's anything more than just a great idea. Don't try to grow too fast, get overhead down, and really look at overall morale.

Other Reviews for TakeLessons

Takelessons is a good supplimentary income job.

Current Employee - Instructor  in  Murrieta, CA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Murrieta, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons

Pros

fun environment to work at

Cons

low hours and not a lot of students

Don't drink the koolaid - Worst working experience I've ever had.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at TakeLessons

Pros

Great location in downtown San Diego. A lot of the marketing people were very personable and nice to work with. Catered lunches once a week.

Cons

- AWFUL COMPENSATION. Minimum wage call center employees and way below industry pay for technical positions.
    - Cult like environment. You're encouraged to join the "family" and be a part of it. But be warned, the corporate culture is absolutely toxic. If they don't think you fit in, you're ostracized. The management almost seems to encourage rumors to go around about former employees.
    - Call center floor is an incredibly cramped dungeon like cubicle farm. Second hand 3'x3' cubicles wall to wall.
    -In addition to the poor compensation, no benefits to speak of. They try to sell you on "ownership", but in reality the stock options are close to worthless for the foreseeable future.

There are newer employer reviews for TakeLessons.

Worked for TakeLessons? Contribute to the Community!