TakeLessons

www.takelessons.com
There are newer employer reviews for TakeLessons

We are all in this together!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful and engaging people. Solid long-term vision. Beautiful office and location. Huge opportunity. Great culture and environment!

Cons

Growing pains. Average pay and benefits (no 401k). Some employees may be in the wrong roles including more tenured employees.

Talk to your staff more about their thoughts on what will help the business as we move forward. Be careful not to change the focus or goals/objectives too often as it is wasted time and resources. Keep the course and continue to be the awesome people that you are! We want to succeed and grow just like you do!

39 Other Employee Reviews for TakeLessons (View Most Recent)

Its a Job at a good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The majority of people at Takelessons are great. They are the biggest reason to work there and stay there. I believe its all derived from the musical background of the company, and the hiring process that involved everyone in rotation. It perpetuated the culture and filled the company with a great group of people who loved their work. Secondly, its a great place to grow (at least with my profession). I've learned a lot while at Takelessons and appreciate the professional development opportunities available.

Cons

Takelessons is going through changes. Everything mentioned in the Pros, appears to be slowly going away. I have hope that things will look up, but I can't paint a portrait any different than I see it. The Pros are decreasing and the Cons are increasing. Another issue is compensation which has been addressed through a more refined review program. Despite that, I feel the salaries are too extreme on both the high and low ends of the spectrum.

Management seriously needs to reevaluate the internals of the company. Takelessons is a great place to learn and grow professionally and most will eventually move onto a job at another company. Some, although, will stay longer because they were promoted. Those people need to stay in order for the company to succeed. Otherwise, all I see is a vicious cycle that will leave the company in a perpetual stall.

Great place for young professionals looking to learn & grow.

Current Employee - Support Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Support Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TakeLessons full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The open door policy and no "jerks" rule create an atmosphere of positive reinforcement and creativity all around. A start-up environment is not for the faint of heart, and there are plenty of opportunities to give up when things get hard--but I think the best part of working at TakeLessons is having the creative freedom step up, lead, and present solutions as a team, allowing everyone to push through and succeed together. At TakeLessons, employees are encouraged to ask the big, tough, "why" questions especially when it comes to customer service, our policies, and our business. Everyone is on the same playing field and has the same opportunity to make a big impact if they are willing to work for it. Most of all--TakeLessons is a company made of unique, gifted, funny, inspiring people and at the end of the day, no matter what is thrown at you, you know you still had a good time working & growing with your friends.

Cons

Agreeing to work in a start-up environment means you will work harder with fewer monetary benefits; there are times when things feel unstable, constantly changing, and uncontrolled. That being said, working at TakeLessons provides young professionals (particularly) with the opportunity to wear many hats, get lots of experience doing many different kinds of work, and eventually (hopefully) establish a career path at TL or elsewhere. Sometimes working at TakeLessons feels like a rollercoaster, but we all succeed and fail together--the positive company culture keeps most people grounded and feeling supported at every stage.

Create a structured communication channel to keep everyone in the company up to speed on the direction of our company (big goals, partnerships, etc.). Meetings don't count. Make it visual, clear, centrally located/constant, and something everyone can engage with and see/feel results of.

There are newer employer reviews for TakeLessons