Interesting

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Talbots

Pros

Excellent group of very dedicated employees in most cases
family like attmosphere
great discount
competitive wages
great heritage of company brand name

Cons

alot of political favorings like many companies, play a lot of favorites
company in a very unstable time right now, lots of layoffs,shaky from corporate
constant changes of schedule, hard to balance with personal life
unclear directions coming down from top, very unrealistic for resources given
constant change of expectations of jobs

Advice to Management

Have a very good staff for the most part, show more apprecitation of that in a sincere way.
Tone of reviews and corrective actions given to people often very harsh and done publicly, while others do the same activities with little said. More advace planning needed to make directions happen in a smooth way, be more realistic in demands given. Offer better incentives to those who do perform.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. You call this classy??

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Talbots

Pros

Reasonable pay in comparison to other retailers. The benefit package was fair. We were offered a good discount but it was a shame that the clothes were not more fashiomable and better quality.

Cons

I have never worked in a women only environment and was so disappointed that there was no "team" spirit. It was a back stabbing, shark pool at best and was encouraged by our general manager. Our DM was either naive or so self absorbed that she failed miserably to identify "real" problems within our store.Sadly "buzz words" became the focus of our business and not outstanding customer service. All of the chaos in our store filtered down to our customers and I was constantly asked what was going on. I loved my job and have always been in customer service, but sadly my talent was wasted at Talbots. Rarely a chance for promotion within. No positive strokes from superiors. A good review is next to impossible. Only the associates and management who are wired to play the dark games of retail are valued. That is sad!!!!!

Advice to Management

Corporate should actually visit the stores with the intent to improve them. Every "higher up" I met looked so exhausted and the glazed over look sent the message of their desperation to keep their own jobs. I think it unfortunate that a real formula for a turn around can not be found, but does it surprise me, absolutely not.

2. Some much potential, but no leadership, no focus, Heads of business do not know what the customer wants.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Talbots

Pros

Good strong core team at management level and below. Very little leadership at director and above. It is sad to say there is nothing to view as a "Pro" about Talbots other than its heritage.

Cons

Poor communication, no focus, no people development plan, no training, no clue who its target customer is or wants

Advice to Management

The fish stinks at the head