Helpful and Supportive Enviornment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hingham, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hingham, MA

I have been working at Talbots full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The overall culture of the company is very friendly and supportive. Everyone from senior management to assistants are always willing to take the extra time to help you or to explain something to you. The company really prides itself on its rich heritage, and it is meaningful to be a part of such a strong and iconic brand.

Cons

Trying to change the perception that only your grandmother shops there!

Other Employee Reviews for Talbots

1. I love our store management - they are caring, concerned with our personal lives and help us to achieve our best

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Talbots part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Store management is great. Discounts are exceptional. It's great to sell a quality product. The customer base is loyal and repeating.

Cons

No chance for advancement, they will not let you work more than 25 hours/week, no pay raises in last few years, no opportunity for store input into product mix, no good restocking program to keep needed basic product in stores.

Advice to Management

Restock the basic items through selling season - we run out of many pant sizes and lose sales. Our store can sell more of the high end items - let us have them even though our size (or whatever) says we don't qualify for certain products. Please reduce the number of sales - our customers get frustrated when they buy something and the next week it is on promotion. I know that you need to do something but not all the time. Get the markdown junk out of the stores faster - at least our store. Our customers want new, full price items - not the same old sale stuff for 3 months.

2. overall, a good experience. wonderful management and sales teams, and proud to work for a well-established company.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Talbots part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

most general management is very pleasant, approachable, patient and sets a great sales example. the product has a positive reputation and is well known. associates do not work on commission so sales are not pushy. great teamwork in most environments.

Cons

the product is constantly changing and is not as reputable as in the past. communication between upper and lower levels of sales teams seems to die out; not all information is shared. it is very difficult to earn a pay raise even after several loyal years with the company.

Advice to Management

communication is key in a sales setting and teams benefit from more communication. more employee merit would be very beneficial to keeping quality associates with the company.