totally unapprectiated

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Talbots full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

excellent pay for my level
great co-workers

Cons

company wants to appeal to every age so styles become old & predictable season after season
every time I have scheduled days/vacation off my DM would come up with some reason to cancel it-I was always giving up my time only for it to go unappreciated!
DM wants only her ideas-doesn't listen to anyone who doesn't agree with her.
producing results is not rewarded-individual thinking is stifled
payroll should be based on results not given to the highly visible stores first

listen to your associates in the trenches more and don't rely solely on the DMs word

Other Reviews for Talbots

Valued Experience as an Assistant Sales Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Talbots full-time

Pros

The experience garnered from such a position will open other opportunities for the future career-wise, so I'm very happy to have been an Assistant Manager for this company. I felt the role required a certain amount of accountability and independence. For me, I considered it a positive in part, as I enjoy that ability to be flexible within my position. The sales team I worked with was one of the best I've had the pleasure of knowing. Not only that, majority of the customers/clients received most of our staff with the utmost respect and made the experience all the more enjoyable. I don't think the workload is per se all that immense, but I will go into that in the next section. Benefits are immediate upon hire for full-time employees, without any probationary 90 day period that many companies require. The accrual rate for vacation and sick time is quite fair. I found the position to be a decent work/life balance. Oh and I can't forget the rather generous employee discount, which many of our team members took advantage of.

Cons

There aren't many growth or full-time work possibilities with this company. I was one of a few lucky enough to be promoted. I disliked the management structure of the particular store I worked in. Upper management tended to delegate on-the-floor work duties to lower management, while their work left them conveniently in the office hours on end. I've completed many tasks that were the responsibility of our General Manager. General management rarely frequented our store, leaving our staff confused and uncomfortable at times, not to mention an inherent sense of broken and ineffective communication. The pay does not align with the amount of work and service this company expects of its employees. I had some of the most hard-working people on our staff and they all, including myself, deserved a raise, which hasn't occurred for years. While it was wonderful to have medical benefits, the more affordable option being a high deductible PPO plan was actually one of the most expensive health plans I've ever had with a company. I almost missed my old HMO plan.

You've got to get away from the office and come onto the floor. You will achieve a better rapport with your associates if you seem to want to work beside and with them. Not only that, it sets a better example of what ideal leadership should look like. Corporate should ease the expectations they have of sales associates. After all, you are less than eager to pay them more than a couple dollars above minimum wage, offer a commissioned rate in addition to their hourly, and more, if any, incentives/bonuses for stellar performances. Verbal praise just isn't enough and turnover will not decrease.

Learned A lot about retail.

Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager  in  Red Bank, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Red Bank, NJ

I worked at Talbots full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The clothes were nice and the team of associates were great to work with.

Cons

No raises,promotion from within nonexistent.

There are newer employer reviews for Talbots.

Worked for Talbots? Contribute to the Community!