totally unapprectiated

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Talbots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

excellent pay for my level great co-workers

Cons

company wants to appeal to every age so styles become old & predictable season after season every time I have scheduled days/vacation off my DM would come up with some reason to cancel it-I was always giving up my time only for it to go unappreciated! DM wants only her ideas-doesn't listen to anyone who doesn't agree with her. producing results is not rewarded-individual thinking is stifled payroll should be based on results not given to the highly visible stores first

Advice to Management

listen to your associates in the trenches more and don't rely solely on the DMs word

Other Employee Reviews for Talbots

Good culture but still unstable

Current Employee - Co-Manager
    Current Employee - Co-Manager

I have been working at Talbots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The fact that the Company is developing opens the door for advancement.

Cons

Instability. In 3 years with the Company, I've worked under 2 SM's, 4 DM's, 2 RM's, 3 VP's and 3 CEO'S. This revolving door in leadership brings constant changes, leaving store teams with the feeling that the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. This is the only place I've worked where there is more turnover in Corporate than there is in the stores.

Advice to Management

Listen to and trust your store-level leaders. We are the boots on the ground, hearing first hand feedback from our customers about product and promotion. That said, please also understand that Outlet is a separate entity from Retail.... different product, different promotions, different customer, different traffic, different trend. It is OKAY for Outlet to have different processes and operations. Instead Outlet is often trying to translate processes that aren't designed for us, feeling like an afterthought within the Company rather than a valued, thriving Division. Lastly, across the board wage freezes are not good for morale. We've all accepted them for years because the Company was in the ICU... we understand that the Company is still recovering, but you should reward those associates who are leading the way toward a better financial future. It's much harder to swallow a wage freeze when we're driving double digit Company and looking at our store-level profitability. Reward tthe teams who are succeeding ... fyi: we don't believe for a minute that the wage freeze is being applied to everyone equally... are middle management and Corporate associates getting our raises again?

Learned A lot about retail.

Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Red Bank, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Red Bank, NJ

I worked at Talbots full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The clothes were nice and the team of associates were great to work with.

Cons

No raises,promotion from within nonexistent.