Talbots

www.talbots.com
  www.talbots.com
There are newer employer reviews for Talbots

Analyzing the Apparel Industry.

Current Employee - Allocation Analyst in Hingham, MA
Current Employee - Allocation Analyst in Hingham, MA

I have been working at Talbots

Pros

Ability to work for a smaller company.
An ability to learn about the apparel industry and fashion in a smaller environment which allows for a more indepth understanding of the business.
The current "new" management is bringing about positive change which will lead the company into a better and more successful direction.

Cons

Company Headquarters is located in suburban Massachusetts and not located in a closer vicinity to Boston, which can make commuting difficult due to the lack of public transportation.
The company was recently going through restructuring which made career advancement difficult.
The career paths are somewhat lengthy and in some cases require unnecessary positions.
There is not much lateral movement from one career path to another.

To better look at their current career paths and restructure the paths for entry level associates.

326 Other Employee Reviews for Talbots (View Most Recent)

Talbots is a good company to work for overall, but climbing the ladder may be slow.

Current Employee - Merchandise Distributor in Hingham, MA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Distributor in Hingham, MA

I have been working at Talbots

Pros

Great benefits
    Friendly environment
    Well organized
    Stability- company has been around for a long time.

Cons

Difficult to change career paths
    Promotions and raises are infrequent
    Pay is too low for cost of living in area

Work on communication, and be open to suggestions from people below you.

Be Weary!

Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Tampa, FL

I worked at Talbots

Pros

Compared to other companies, the salary is rather competitive.... IF, big IF, you only work 40 hours a week.

The IT Data Center is located in a very nice district of Tampa, and the office itself is very comfortable to work in. The operations staff is a joy! The people in the computer room are all very friendly, and to their credit there are a number of events organized by HR to show appreciation to employees. Ice Cream, Subs, ect being brought in to feed employees.

If, you are a woman in their target demographic, you do get a very healthy discount. Or, if like me you are a single young guy, your mom and grandmothers will love you! =)

Cons

Three words... On Call Rotation!

Every team at Talbot's Data Center, requires a weekly on-call rotation. Depending on your team, and your personal work ethic, this can be very brutal. I say this because some teams just refuse to become in involved with on call support. I spent many a weekend day waiting for the on-cal DBA to get involved and grant me EMER access to some server, or provide tracing support, ect. There are a few who are helpful and prompt, but most are lazy and their manager is an idiot, who will not pressure her people to help you if she does not like you or your team... very professional.

The on call responsibilities are 24-7 for the week which you are on call. Some weeks you may not have a single call... some weeks you may not get more than 2-3 hours sleep a night. What makes it worse is, when you have a failure in one of the production systems, and identify the failure, most times you will be strongly encouraged to take the shortest, quickest possible fix to get the system up and running again leaving the problem not really solved and likely to come back and bite you, or someone else in the ass later on down the road.

Additionally, most of the people that work there are nice, but idiots. Who stand no real chance of supporting any of the systems they are supposed to be working in on a daily basis. So, when they are on call, and something breaks, the manager's ass is on the line to get the system back up online. So, if he has person A (who is officially on call, but an idiot) and person B (you, he is not on call), he is of course going to try to get you involved. I offer one piece of advice... when you are NOT on call, you are NOT required to answer your phone.... SO DONT! Additionally, when you ARE on call, you are only required to answer calls from the Operations Staff or your manager, so speak to no one else directly.

Further more, just a warning, alot of the systems Talbot's has produces reports. Which all show some different spin on the previous day's activity and sales. Even though I could tell you there are not more than a handful of people at the place who are allowed to make decisive business decisions based on sales trends over one day... the reports not being out by 8am for all of the business users is looked at as if the company was sinking. These clowns will start complaining right on the dot if their reports are not out, even though you could have just as easily wrote some process to take the sales from that day last year, and multiplies them by some random factor and gave them a completely meaningless number and they would not have ANY idea. There was one instance where I was on call, and found all of their stores as reporting sales on Christmas Day (WHEN EVERY STORE WAS CLOSED) and none of the business users found it... what a joke.

There is 1 senior manager I worked under who was capable of doing his job, and for the most part I had no problems working with him. Even though he required us to do some things our team and manager disagreed with, it was out of his control.

The CIO is a joke... before they had their last round of promotions, the Director of Application Services was a joke... this person seriously knew NOTHING about software nor application development. There are ALOT of dirty players at the Senior Management level at this place.

There are newer employer reviews for Talbots