There are newer employer reviews for Talisman Energy

Very negative work environment

Former Employee - IT Support Analyst in Horseheads, NY
Former Employee - IT Support Analyst in Horseheads, NY

I worked at Talisman Energy

Pros

The non-management staff are great people, very knowledgeable in their areas of expertise and good to work with. This employer seems to pay better than others in the area, but in line with what other gas/oil companies pay.

Cons

The management staff are generally very negative towards employees. I always thought it was incredible that the non-management staff somehow were able stay in a good mood and with a positive attitude. At the time that I worked there, the management staff had an zero-tolerance policy with respect employee interaction for non-business purposes. I'll be the first to admit, that from a strictly financial point of view, this makes 100% sense. However, at the expense of a very toxic workplace. Employees were to act like robots. You were expected to finish everything as quickly as possible, and then, when you had down-time as a result of doing 40hrs worth of work in 25, well, you then had to pretend to somehow still be working on something. No such thing as pacing yourself here. I often heard lots of negative feedback directed at myself and others. Meetings were uncomfortable events where people were visibly nervous to be talking to one another. On some occasions, the company paid for lunch where everyone sat around in mostly akward silence. Even the jokes heard around the office were generally sarcastic and negative and typically initiated by those who could get away with talking, managers.

You can make the same profits without all the negative energy flying around the office. Pick a target performance level for your staff, and as long as they are meeting that level, there's no reason to continue beating down on people. Let them also have a work environment that is enjoyable.

79 Other Employee Reviews for Talisman Energy (View Most Recent)

Engineering Co-op student

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Talisman Energy as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As a Co-op student the pay was very good

Cons

They hardly make contract staff full time from what I heard

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Talisman Energy as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Collaborative work environment, disagreements handled quickly and out in the open. Good group of managers working to embrace strategies

Cons

Slow to make decisions which are then reactive. Some groups disorganized, no communication resulting in duplication of efforts.

Hal is leading the way - employees need to trust this.

There are newer employer reviews for Talisman Energy